We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 1
HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Hi there,

I'm in a pickle and hoping someone can help!

Hubby and I are from Australia and are doing a tour around Ireland. The tour group delivers us back to Dublin Airport around 6pm on Friday 15 November 2013.

We would then like to fly from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford (to family) that night, rather than spending the extra money to stay overnight in Dublin.

The only airline I can see that flys this route direct (rather than via London) is through RyanAir. I've read the not-so-shiny reviews but am prepared to fly with RyanAir and read the fine print.

I can't however work out if the same rules apply in terms of being at the airport 2 hours prior to an international flight like we have here in Australia.

I know you need to check-in online more than 24 hours ahead of time, and that bag drop closes 40 minutes prior to the flight, BUT do we need to be there 2 hours prior??

If so, our flight would be at 9.15pm so we'd have to be at the airport by 7.15pm latest, which might be cutting it fine if the tour runs late. If not, then I'm comfortable that we have enough time up our sleeves to make the flight.

Anyone know the answer? RyanAir are not responding on email...

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
1. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Just make sure you know all the rules and corresponding fees before you book.

The only time constraint you have is the 40 minute cut-off. Note that this means you must have completed the bag drop at 40 minutes before the departure time. It doesn't count one bit if you are in the line but don't get to the front in time. If you miss the cut-off (even if you are already in line) you won't get on the flight, and you won't get any help from Ryanair (that is one way that they keep their fares lowish, but most airlines will be unsympathetic if you miss a flight deadline without a really good reason). Only you can determine if the risk is worth it.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Ooohhh that is cutting it fine. You'd need to be at the airport by 8:15 at the latest to make sure your baggage is checked in by 8:35.

When they say the tour ends "around 6" there could be any number of reasons for a delay. My experience in Ireland is that things tend not to run with military precision nor to schedule a lot of the time. "Around 6" could mean anywhere between 3 and 9.

I'd be staying in Dublin for the night and enjoying a night in Temple Bar and then flying out in the morning. But it's your call of course.

Just a thought - won't you need to clear Immigration if you have Australian passports? Dublin isn't part of the UK. It'a been 4 or 5 years since my last visit but I'm sure I had to go through the formalities.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
3. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

They will presumably clear Irish Immigration on arrival to the country before starting the tour, not on departure.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
4. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Yes, but Dublin is in The Republic of Ireland and Leeds is in the United Kingdom which is a different country altogether. So it's an international flight. Aren't there emigration formalities for non EU passport holders? That's what I can't recall from my last visit.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

The UK and ROI operate a Common Travel Area so border checks aren't as stringent for those flights (although they're there at DUB). UK and Irish citizens can travel without passports, but must still be able to prove their citizenship, so that basically defaults to needing a passport (for UK at least).

However you still have to undergo a passport or documentation check with the airline. In the case of Ryanair all non-EU passport holders have to have their passports checked (at bag drop I think) and have their boarding pass stamped before clearing security. It's confusingly called a "visa check" but it applies even if you don't need a visa, and it's in reality a "non EU passport holder doc check".

I agree with Eva that you're cutting it fine and would be better off staying the night in Dublin.

Edited: 11:29 pm, July 11, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
6. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Any ikmigraion formalities are handled on arrival in a country. Doesn't make much sense to do them after the traveler has already been in the country, does it? :)

Other than showing a valid passport to Ryanair staff and ID at security, there will be no Irish immigration procedures on departure.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

>> Any ikmigraion formalities are handled on arrival in a country. Doesn't make much sense to do them after the traveler has already been in the country, does it? :) <<

Well many countries do have exit formalities. Including Schengen, where you have a passport check (stamped for non Schengen/EU passport holders) when you leave the Schengen area. It's to check that you haven't overstayed your permitted time in the country/region. And, apart from the US, UK and Ireland (and Canada although I've only crossed the border back to the US), every country I've departed has required an exit passport check and in many cases a completed departure card as well.

Even where there aren't exit formalities, the airlines still have to check passports and documentation to ensure that the passenger has entry clearance to the destination country on the ticket. That requires longer at check in or bag drop as the passport is checked against a database of the entry requirements (it's called TIMATIC).

London, United...
8. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

I appreciate that you are looking to fly to Leeds/Bradford, but given the tight scheduling, have you considered flying to an alternative airport, such as Manchester ? Whilst it may be a little further to travel when you arrive, you have more options as to flights.

Manchester
reviews: 95
9. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

The flights from Dublin are half the price on Saturday 16th (according to Skyscanner) , you could get a cheap place in Dublin on the Fri and fly next day with more peace of mind.

dublin
10. Re: HELP! RyanAir from Dublin to Leeds/Bradford

Another vote to spend the night in Dublin. This hotel is party central.

www.templebarhotel.com/