We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Melbourne Australia
reviews: 89
Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Oh dear, my husband is on his way back to Australia now.

What happened was that he stayed the night at an airport hotel and left his suitcase there while he went for two days to see the sights of New York (just taking carry on) and was going to come back to stay the night back in Toronto before heading home.

The flight back was cancelled and they put him on a flight the next day. Unfortunately he was now super strapped for time and only just made his flight (different airline) to come back to Australia (he e-mailed me in transit) .Now we have a case at the hotel and no idea on how to get it home.

My OH thinks American Eagle should be responsible for it. I am not sure. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone advise please? Would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
1. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

I doubt very much that American Eagle could be held responsible for a case that your husband left at a hotel. It has nothing to do with them whatsoever.

If you had travel insurance - you could approach them, perhaps?

Otherwise ask the hotel if they have any suggestions. Or find a friendly Australian in Toronto.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

"My OH thinks American Eagle should be responsible for it." - There is absolutely no way that the airline is responsible, your husband left his luggage for his convenience, the flight cancellation is irrelevant as they could have easily rerouted him via another airport at any time to get from NY to Australia which was what they were contracted to do. .

You have two choices, write off the value of the case and it's contents or contact the hotel and pay for it to be shipped home.

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

contact the hotel and have them ship it back.

imagine airfreight could be expensive.

seafreight can take a couple of months

obviously the airline is not responsible for this situation.

UK
reviews: 84
4. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Or find a friendly Australian in Toronto.

---------

I don't think you were thinking when you typed that.

3 choices:

Dump it.

Pay for it to be shipped back.

Travel insurance (unlikely, sibce he decided to leave it behind whilst travelling)

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Haha - probably not. Although stranger things have happened.

Whatever you do don't even think about using Canada Post it would be cheaper to fly back and get it yourself.

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

I guess it depends how long the aussie has been living in Canada as to their friendliness.

maybe OP can find one that has been there only a week or two

;-)

Melbourne Australia
reviews: 89
7. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Now I have had a chance to get my head around it (it IS early here - pre-coffee!!), I agree American Eagle are not responsible.

I can get it forwarded through a freight company I think like DHL or similar.

Thank you guys, this is what happens when I let him go away alone!!!!

UK
reviews: 84
8. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

I am amazed, only a few weeks back someone was ripped into mercilessly for asking if they should take a FRIENDS pc abroad for them, called a troll, the thread shut down, yet a couple of regulars propose that a complete stranger should carry someone's bag abroad, and no one blinks an eye.

"Did you pack all your luggage yourself madam?"

"All except this suitcase"

"Oh, who packed it then?"

"No idea, some bloke on the Internet id never met said he left it at his hotel and could I pick it up from a hotel and bring it back"

Calgary, Canada
9. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

Well I suppose if the chance arose (unlikely) - it would not be a stranger off the street, but rather the friend of a friend sort of thing.

...and the friend would be quite entitled to rifle through Mr Maple's bag to ensure that it was just in fact, dirty underwear and business suites rather than a cunning arrangement of Semtex and wires.

But as I say unlikely. DHL is a far safer bet.

<---hands Joe a chill-pill.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
10. Re: Luggage left in Toronto, back to Australia please help

>>>Or find a friendly Australian in Toronto<<<

Australians only carry luggage with unknown contents to Bali.