We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

DO NOT FLY THIS AIRLINE

- Flight delays really do cost us all time & dollars - problems & no compensation or assistance

(addtionally Hong Kong Airline's staff attitude is very poor & very rude!).

HKG -> BKK (HX775 6/9/2013) -

3+ Hours delay on flight departure / arrival (due to 3am arrival in BKK).

RESULT: We paid ourselves for a taxi to final destination, as the free BKK Airport shuttle bus had finished operation for the night (no public transport options exist at 3am at BKK airport & no staff help from Hong Kong Airlines were their to assist)

BKK -> HKG (HX766 9/7/2012)

3+ hours delay on departure / arrival

Flight original scheduled ETD 8.25pm

RESULT: Lied to and no transportation to final destination offered (arrived home at 5am via self paid taxi)... we were also told that 80 passengers on our flight who had missed onward flight connections to China, were not being taken care of by the airline either (needless to say, all BKK / HKG flights were effected and one can be sure no one on those flights was assisted nor compensated for this problem by Hong Kong Airlines)!

At check-in we were lied to and advised ETD would be delayed to 9.45pm (in fact this was impossible, given that the plane we were to be using ex BKK, had not yet departed HKG!)... so why the lie by HK Airlines staff? ... sadly it was so the airline could save on / avoid offering a food coupon for stranded passengers (at 11.30pm after entering the departure gate, we were given an unattractive snack box which I returned to them... unfortunately the gate was not posted until after 10pm and not staffed until 11pm).

Final departure was after mid-night BKK time (which resulted in a 3.38am arrival in HKG).

At BKK we requested HK Airlines ground staff to assist us with providing a taxi to HK Island and were told their staff Adam Peng could assist us on arrival (unfortunately there was no Adam Peng present upon arrival and their ground staff manager Leo, rudely told us he had the authority to decide if he could assist us - he smugly & rudely advised us that he had decided not to help us with taxi transportation to our destination).

NB: Public transport options do not operate at this time of the morning in HKG.

Hong Kong Airlines did suggest a shuttle bus they wanted to put on for stranded passengers, but a slow option deparing the airport at 4am in the morning which doesn't take you anywhere near your final destination, is not a viable solution when one wants to get some sleep before a days work!

PS: "Hong Kong Airlines" and "Hong Kong Express Airlines" are sister companies, both 45% owned and operated by "Hainan Airlines" (don't let the airline names confuse you, these two airlines are in fact Hainan Airlines poor service, ruining the good name of Hong Kong!)

We will never fly Hong Kong Airlines nor Hong Kong Express Airlines ever again - any cost savings one dreams they will get using this airline, will be offset by extra transport costs upon arrival (pls also see flight stats for Hong Kong Airlines - unfortunately we now know that this is not a one off incident for them, but a regular scheduled problem for this airline, on most of their routes! Don't let them ruin your holiday or business trip too!).

36 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

You are right that both flights were badly delayed (verified by FlightStats), so not nice. So empathy for your delays.

But,

>> RESULT: We paid ourselves for a taxi to final destination, as the free BKK Airport shuttle bus had finished operation for the night <<

Where were you going? I've been to Bangkok many times and have never heard of a free shuttle bus from the airport. A metered taxi from BKK to the center of Bangkok costs about 350 baht (c. $12 US) including tolls and airport fees. Not exactly a back breaker.

Edited: 4:05 am, July 10, 2013
Hong Kong, China
2. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Hi USBusinessTraveller,

Thanks for your comments.

We were transferring to the domestic airport in BKK i.e. Don Muang Airport (DMK).

To catch a connecting flight to the South of Thailand - you can imagine what happened to the connecting flight!

Nicely in Bangkok they do offer a free shuttle bus between these two airports within normal hours (also I am happy to say that on the return connection, the free Bangkok Airport run shuttle bus is as fast as the 630 baht taxi we had to pay for to fix the delays on the way over).

Between, if you ever choose to take that shuttle bus, all you have to do is show you have a connecting flight and they will let you on free (I understand that is a 1/2 hourly or hourly service) which leaves from the same level as public taxis (at DMK anyway).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Agreed that the extra expense of the taxi was not huge - it is more the hassle of lost connections... the rudeness and the added cost (costs which would have actually made alternative carriers a cheaper option for us, without the hassles that Hong Kong Airlines we now know regularly subject their passengers to (we are really just letting others know, so they can make a more informed decision than we did ourselves - I am just happy that we were not using them for a long haul connecting flight, as that would have been even more annoying and painful!).

Buenos Aires...
3. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Asiaplay I understand your situationg I took last month a flight from Hong Kong to Beijing and it was 17 hours delayed!!! It was and odisey....we suppose to depart at 8.10PM Sunday...we finally departed around 11 AM Sunday...arrived to Tianjin (diverted due to bad weather) around 2 AM Monday....kept us in the plane for 10 hours without food neither AC.....let us go around 12AM Monday...and had to find our way to arrive to Beijing....finally arrived by high speed train around 3PM Monday....it shows a total LACK OF ORGANISATION of HK Airlines in such situations!!! The staff did not how to handle the situation as well. Also took a flight two weeks ago from Shanghai to HK and it was also delayed (only 2 hours). Conclusion: Hong Kong Airlines = delays

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
4. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

I must say, I've never read anything positive about this airline and all my HK friends have had bad experiences with this airline, too. I only ever seem to see "delayed" for HK Airlines flights on the flight info boards at HKIA. I don't even consider them when searching for airfares, just too risky.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
5. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

"we suppose to depart at 8.10PM Sunday...we finally departed around 11 AM Sunday"

___

That's poor form, delayed to a point in time beofer your original flight time! ;-)

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 61
6. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Surprisingly i have all the praises for HK airlines. Maybe it was just pure unlucky day for you. I am sorry

Hong Kong
reviews: 95
7. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Flying to China is a stressful experience these days due to ATC and airspace controls. HX is not the only airline where I've read crazy delays and passengers being held on board with no food. Obviously, these delays will ripple down to the other flights that don't touch China but the same aircraft may be held up by a 10+ hour delay in Beijing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
8. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Agree with the above. Chinese Air Traffic Control supposedly gives priority to the military so flight paths and times are often restricted for civilian flights. Even if you fly Cathay or Dragonair, delays are almost to be expected rather than as an exception. There was just a recent report that named Beijing and Shanghai as two of the worst on-time performance airports worldwide. As a result, Hong Kong airport's statistics also suffered since many flights are mainland bound.

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

Thanks for giving some context to the delays.

I read an article the other day about how 'airport rage' is such a common thing on the mainland, and the on-time statistics for Beijing and Shanghai airports were really woeful.

Buenos Aires...
10. Re: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!

I can understand if there is a delay because of the bad weather, but what I can not understand is the lack of organization of the company in such cases. I mean the company knows 1) Chinese Air Control NORMALLY gives priority to military 2) bad weather NORMALLY causes delays, then when these events occurs together for sure you will have longer delays. So why you don't have a "Plan B", I mean a) they keep us for 10 hours in the plane without food or AC (luckily I do not suffer of anxiety or claustrophobia!), b) the staff did not know anything about what was going on...since the plane was diverted to Tianjin there supposed to be a bus paid by the company from Tianjin to Beijing, but the staff did not know its route and stops: did not know if the final destination of the bus was Beijing Airport, Tongzhimen, or Guomao Station....c) when such events happens during the night you should immediately send staff to the airport to inform about the situation. Two years ago my flight was diverted due to volcanic activity in Chile, so Iberia put all the passengers in a bus and payed hotel where we can stay, that is caring about your passengers. I did not expect HK Airlines pay me a hotel, what I expect is Hong Kong Airlines care about us in such events. There is no doubt the airline must improve its services. I have to be honest I wont take anymore Hong Kong Airlines, I may choose Dragon Air, China Southern, Air China or any other.

Sunmagic, sorry I made I mistake "we supposed to depart 810PM on Sunday but finally departed 11PM Sunday" arrived around 2AM Monday to Tianjin (diverted), and then 10 hours waiting in the plane.....

Reply to: Hong Kong Airlines Review - Flight delays & very rude staff!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted