We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Transat

Chesterfield
reviews: 49
Air Transat

Hi

Looking to go to Toronto for the first time as the only option for flights from northern UK is Air Transat. The reviews look terrible and so do the planes! Is it worth paying more and flying BA from London or do AT have a new fleet which will fly from Manchester ? Cheers folks

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 40
1. Re: Air Transat

I believe that Air Transat is in the process of upgrading their fleet, but I don't know if there's any way of determining whether you would be on one of these or not. We flew AT in May from Toronto to Glasgow and returned from Gatwick. The flight going over was on an older plane, but we got upgraded to Club Class (which was great), so I can't say what the regular seats/meals/etc. were like. On the return flight, we were in regular seats, but on a refurbished plane, and it was almost as good as the Club Class going over - plenty of leg room, individual entertainment screens with a wide range of movies/TV/magazines to watch.

We had the same dilemma as you before deciding that the huge difference in price for other carriers just wasn't worth the possible inconvenience on Air Transat for 6-8 hours, and it turned out to be a good decision.

Toronto
reviews: 204
2. Re: Air Transat

IMO "not so great" flights is the price of seeing beautiful places & things. I'm more likely to pay more for direct vs. connecting flights. BA is ususally very expensive comparatively speaking, and when I've checked I've never convinced myself to spend the money. On the other hand I have a friend who feels flights need to be an experience and she pays more for what she considers to be higher quality airlines. I'd rather spend that money at my desitnation. It's personal preference really.

Toronto
reviews: 204
3. Re: Air Transat

IMO "not so great" flights is the price of seeing beautiful places & things. I'm more likely to pay more for direct vs. connecting flights. BA is ususally very expensive comparatively speaking, and when I've checked I've never convinced myself to spend the money. On the other hand I have a friend who feels flights need to be an experience and she pays more for what she considers to be higher quality airlines. I'd rather spend that money at my desitnation. It's personal preference really.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 54
4. Re: Air Transat

I have flown Air Transat a few times. In each case I've upgraded to what they call Club Class ... you get a larger seat, better meal, better service, and for not really a whole lot more money. I have no complaints with the value there, but cannot speak to a regular economy seat since I've never done that. My feel is it's about managing expectations. Air Transat is a discount airline ... if you approach it bearing that in mind, and not expecting a first class experience, you'll be happy. And, at least they have a direct flight from Glasgow.

Depending on when you plan to travel, you may have another option in Air Canada, which is planning to begin direct service between Toronto and Edinburgh. I understand this will be a new route for Rouge, it's low-cost airline. I would expect cost and service to be similar to Air Transat. Sorry, no idea when it starts. Right now, they connect you via Heathrow.

Your other option would be to go through Dublin, and connect to Air Canada's direct flight to Toronto. That may be less expensive and less hectic than going through London.

Edited: 1:54 pm, July 09, 2013
toronto
reviews: 95
5. Re: Air Transat

I'm waiting to see how Rouge (short for Scrouge also close to gouge) pans out (great name for a low cost airline!). Some fair comments above particularly about AT's Club Class which is not a bad product. But before this turns into another Air Transat moan-a-thon thread in the Toronto forum can I suggest people post any replies to the Airline Forum instead where it would be more appropriate.

Edited: 4:58 pm, July 09, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: Air Transat

I've flown most airlines from Toronto to the UK. Transat was fine - not great, but not the worst by a long shot (that honor goes to MyTravel who were shocking!) not sure if Thomas Cook still fly that route but they're ok too. The nice thing is that flying from the north (Glasgow, Manchester) the flight time is less. When you add in transiting through London, it becomes a much longer day and BA isn't good enough for me to justify an extra 4 plus hours travel time (to allow for connections etc.)

Stockport, United...
reviews: 45
7. Re: Air Transat

We fly air transat quite a bit, Manchester to Toronto is such a short flight that they are fine. You really get what you pay for but for the bargain price they offer we have nothing to complain about.

8. Re: Air Transat

The Air Canada Rouge route between Toronto and Edinburgh is already up and running. I think it started earlier this month.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
9. Re: Air Transat

My Travel is part of Thomas Cook.

toronto
reviews: 95
10. Re: Air Transat

Thanks to the Tripadvisor forum fairies perhaps - magically now in the Airline forum (ok maybe as well)!

BTW my mother flew in Air Transat Club from Manchester today and was treated so well (as always as a 92 yo old) - the only way she chooses to fly to Canada - thanks to all.

AT did a good job on maintaining service in the last few days with the record torrential rain in Toronto. The previous day's flight did get out after a couple of hours delay when we got a whole month's rain in a couple of hours but by the time this plane was turned around as it bounced across to Manchester and back things were back on track.