We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa Airlines

Saint Louis...
reviews: 1
Lufthansa Airlines

We had a family vacation planned for July 26 to go to Egypt. Due to the current situation, and the state department warning against travel there, we are trying to move our vacation to December. Everyone has been totally great about it except Lufthansa.

Even though I can find a fare for December that is $500 cheaper than the tickets I already have booked, and I am willing to pay the $250 a person change fee (which totals $1,250 for my family of 5), that is still not enough of a profit for Lufthansa to make from my misfortune. They are quoting me $1,600 to change from my more expensive tickets to cheaper ones. So on top of the exorbitant change fee, they are charging me another $350 for cheaper tickets!

Does anyone have any ideas of something I can do?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Are you sure that there are enough seats (i.e. 5) at the $500 cheaper fare?

Well, there are two things, both involve waiting to see what the situation is nearer the departure date.

If the German government give advice to their citizens not to travel then LH may institute a waiver (BA already has a waiver in place due to the UK government advice). Also, if the Department Of State travel advisory is still in effect on your date of departure, see if you can claim on your travel insurance. You do have travel insurance right (and it would have to have been purchased before the DOS advisory was given)?

Saint Louis...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Thanks for your advice! There are five seats available in December, I could book them now if it was a simple matter of cancel and rebook like Southwest. I would even come out $500 ahead!

So, are you saying that the airline only has to follow what the government where they are headquarters says about travel safety? If so, I will make sure that I book with domestically owned airlines next time.

Alas, I do not have travel insurance!

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 87
3. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Do I hear you right, you are going to Egypt and you don't have travel insurance !!

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

So, are you saying that the airline only has to follow what the government where they are headquarters says about travel safety?

That is correct.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
5. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

If you're not going to Cairo and only the red sea then they're saying at the moment it's ok to travel.

NomadicForever
reviews: 14
6. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Dont wait for a travel warning from the German government. They will be the last to issue one. It is about protection of the travel industry.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 274
7. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

I pretty much agree with all that was said... The US State Dpt has the toughest view (which is not surprising in this region). Its UK counterpart for instance is all right with the Red Sea (https:/…egypt). So if you are going to the Red Sea, then no need in my view to postpone. Now if Cairo or Alexandria, or Luxor and its area is your destination, I'd definitively postpone.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
8. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Generally the airline rule is that whatever your fare is changed too has to be of equal or higher value.

Meaning if your original fare is no longer available then they have the right to charge you the change fee and fare and tax differences.

Nuremberg, Germany
9. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

Check your fare rules if you can cancel your flights against a cancelation fee.

10. Re: Lufthansa Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 09, 2014