We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Hi,

I have a transfer (2h) from Terminal 7 (with British Airways from London) To Terminal 8 (with American Airline to Montreal Canada).

I'm not a US citizen. Do I need US Visa.

Thanks

Edited: 4:09 pm, July 05, 2013
Madrid
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

What passport do you hold?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,575 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Assuming this is on a single ticket you'll still need to clear US Immigration, collect bags, clear US Customs , return bags to AA, get to Terminal 8 which could involve clearing security - I prefer a minimum of 3 hours for this process as wait times at Immigration could easily be 1 hour plus.

You'll need even longer if it's separately ticketed flights.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
3. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

You'll need permission to enter the US. CItizens from many countries can travel on the ESTA visa waiver program, which means they do not need a visa. Citizens of other countries usually do need a visa. You can look at the list of countries here:

https:/…vwp2

Here's the ESTA site:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

An ESTA costs $14. DO NOT use any website other than the one I just linked to get one.

Canadian citizens traveling on a Canadian passport do not need an ESTA.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
4. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Ghana Passport.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
5. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Thanks all for your reply.

I purchased the ticket on British Airway Site, and it is a single ticket. I'm going from Ghana to Canada, but I have a transfer at JFK Airport.

I'm not intended to go to US. My destination is Montreal Canada. Do I need to get a visa or ESTA ? Do all passenger who have a transfer with a compagny ticket have to get Visa or Esta ?

Thanks very much.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,575 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

"Do all passenger who have a transfer with a compagny ticket have to get Visa or Esta ?"

You need one or the other - as far as I can tell from the ESTA website citizens of Ghana are not eligible to apply for an ESTA under the Visa Waiver Programme and you'll therefore need to contact the nearest US Embassy where you are living to apply for a visa.

I trust you have enough time to do this before your flights - it's always better to get a visa before booking flights just in case the visa is denied.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
7. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Yes, you need a visa. While it may not be your intention to enter the US, you will be entering the US, and therefore you need a visa. I would start the process ASAP.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,358 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

USA airports, except I am told houston, don't allow for transit passengers. It's stupid but that is the way it is. To transfer through a USA airport you need the appropriate papers to enter the USA because that's what you are doing, even if it is just to move to another gate or terminal.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
9. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

Thanks all, for your response. It is very helpful.

I change my booking to go directly from London to Montreal Canada.

Have a great day.

10. Re: Transfer from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 JFK Airport, New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 08, 2014