We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 26
Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

To sleep, or not to sleep? That is the question.

I’m one of those people who can’t sleep while they’re moving. Whether it’s a plane, a train, or an automobile, I just can’t fall asleep when I know I’m in motion.

Overnight flights are the worst, especially long-hauls internationally. I’ve typically been awake nearly 30+ hours before arriving at my hotel looking nothing like my passport’s photo. (a red-eyed zombie picture would be more convincing for Border Guards)

What works best for you? Do you have any tips/tricks for either sleeping or adjusting to jetlag?

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

Unfortunately,its the people around me that have trouble sleeping.I have no trouble sleeping,and snoring the night away.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
2. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

I don't do it, but pleny of people take a sleeping pill on an overnight long haul flight

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

Depends on what class I am travelling.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
4. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

I always sleep or else I'd not be able to do anything for days!

I take an old fashioned dramamine which is a motion sickness over the counter med that makes you sleepy.

I don't take a sleeping pill because they last too long .

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

First Class or private jet works for me:)

Actually, I don't sleep well/much on planes even with legroom and comfortable seats, with or without sleeping, ahem, aids. And joking apart snorers - usually Business/First - keep me awake. (I of course never snore!). The thing is to try and rest and not fret about it. The only way I found to beat jetlag when I was slogging around long haul every week was to try and keep to local time as possible, remember it's approx 1 hr per 24 hr period to adjust and again, not sweat it. The worst is usually over within 24-48 hours anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

Sleep generally but there are a few anomalies where I try to stay awake for the sake of adjusting quickly to timezone at the end.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
7. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

"do you sleep or stay awake?"

Yes.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 95
8. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

can't sleep no matter what I try (or what class). I'm at the stage now where I just try and relax and lucky if I doze for 5 mins.....

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 35
9. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

Sleeping pills or tranks are not a good idea when flying, as they induce an unnatural depth of sleep, meaning you won't move naturally, as you do in normal sleep, and are at a greater risk of DVT. I find a G&T before dinner, and maybe a glass or two of red wine, together with some water afterwards , enables me to sleep reasonably well on a red-eye.

Skin dehydrates really quickly at altitude and your natural inclination to rub or scratch can also disturb sleep, so slap on plenty of moisturises on your face and arms.

London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Overnight flights - do you sleep or stay awake?

I sleep, not a deep or a good sleep, bit I usually get a couple of hours.

I have something to eat, watch the movie, and I know it's not advisable, a couple of glasses of wine ( and yes, I drink a lot of water too) and normally that's enough to help me sleep.