We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Ely, UK
reviews: 19
My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Well I feel like such a fool. I booked to go to Lisbon with Easyjet from October 13th - 15th or so I thought. Well 5 months after booking I decde to check all my paperwork and I find I have actually booked flights from 13th to 16th. I usually only book things with a second pair of eyes viewing but this time I did it alone (proves I can't be trusted).

Hotel is booked seperately for 2 nights 13th - 15th as I was convinced I had been so clever and booked these flights. It is not a disaster as I have finally got round to checking the paperwork in time to fix things. We can either buy a replacement return flight on 15th for £106 or add an extra night in the hotel for £108. I know wich one I would prefer. I have had the embarrassment of explaining it all to my partner this morning and I am currently waiting with baited breath to see if he can get an extra day holiday from work. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Either way its an expensive mistake.

Moral of the story don't be stupid like I have been check and double check before hitting the buy button, and do read that email properly as soon as it arrives in case you have made an error and have a chance of getting it fixed.

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Well done you. Most people would come on here and say it was a software problem with the airlines website and swear blind they booked it for the 15th and that some weird computer failing changed the date on them, that the airline was at fault and they should get the change for free. Seriously, actually people post that nonsense.

Anyway, good warning for others and good luck:-))

Edinburgh
reviews: 6
2. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Well done you for your complete honesty and not blaming others like so many do on here! I hope you get your extra night in the hotel lol! Enjoy it!

Liverpool, UK
3. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

A timely reminder to check and double check what you intend to buy - kudos for your honesty in admitting to the mistake.

I've done something similar, booking an 8.30 pm flight rather than 8.30 am flight, so it's easily done in the rush to complete the booking before you get timed out.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Hi

Almost exactly what I did, I always book the evening flight from Prague to Gatwick, but for once I did the early one without engaging my brain.

I hired a car with an evening return time, paid an extra day's rental for that, checked in online and still neither looked at what was being printed or thought to check. Then just as I was thinking about packing I found my flight had left six hours earlier.

So from someone who rarely manages a week without booking flights for myself or my family always check your details at least a dozen times before you click BUY.

Jackie

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
5. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

My god honesty at last. Great, well done for admitting it was your mistake and an extra day in Lisbon to boot!!

If your partner can't get an extra day off then why don't you stay an extra night and they go home ;-)

Can't you just pay the 35 quid change fee to alter the flight, would that not work out cheaper is is that what you mean by the £106?

Lisbon is great btw if you have not been before.

Edited: 6:40 am, July 05, 2013
London, United...
6. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

It just shows how common place it is for people to refuse to admit they were at fault by the fact we are all congratulating someone simply for behaving like a real live normal person and accepting their error:-))

Ely, UK
reviews: 19
7. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I didn't even think I would have the option to change flights for £35 I thought as it was my error I would have to suck it up and buy a new return flight.

But it is all ok My partner just rang and he can get the extra day holiday so whoopee 3 nights in Lisbon now and I will wait until he gets home before booking the hotel.

London, United...
8. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Congratulations,,,glad it worked out:-))

Edinburgh
reviews: 6
9. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Well done and I'm so glad it worked out for you! Happy days then :)

Boston...
reviews: 10
10. Re: My stupid error - check and double ckeck before hitting buy

Your straightforward advice is refreshing. We all make mistakes, but too many look for others to blame.

Hope this is all forgotten when you're enjoying your trip!

Get answers to your questions
Recent Conversations