We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

Kolkata
Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

I am taking the Qatar airways Boeing 787-8 to Frankfurt, scheduled to land at 14:00. I am planning to catch a 14:47 train from the airport station (the next train is more than an hour later). Therefore I need some advice on which seat would be best for quick disembarkation.

Does anyone know if they allow disembarkation from both front and rear or not? It'd help a lot. Thanks.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

"I am planning to catch a 14:47 train from the airport station (the next train is more than an hour later)."

Allowing 47 minutes from landing to train is not realistic in my opinion, even if your flight is on time you could spend time getting to the gate even if one is immediately available and disembarkation procedure could be dependant on which gate is being used which will be unknown until the flight arrives.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

Disembarkation will only be from front end.

If you have to collect luggage I doubt you will be able to catch your train.

Kolkata
3. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

"Disembarkation will only be from front end"

Thanks for the info, Hans_DEN. I'd get an aisle seat at the front then. I know that there's significant probability of my missing the 14:47 train, but I'd like to give it a shot. Thankfully I bought one of the flexible tickets so I can take the next train without buying a new ticket.

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
4. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

Dont bother trying to catch the train unless you

are very familiar with FRA airport. Not only the airport is maze like but also the train station to find the right platform.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 78
5. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

We arrived at Frankfurt airport on a 6am flight - it took about 40 min from landing to exiting the terminal - our arrival gate was miles from imigration (we seemed to be walking for ages) but our luggage came out really quickly (one of the first on our plane) and there were no lines at either immigration or customs- you may be lucky and get all three things to line up in your favour

I cannot imagine a middle of the day flight clearing faster than our early flight did

Counting on getting an aisle seat at the front is a risky strategy to make a very short connection - I think you are lucky to have bought a flexible ticket

Kolkata
6. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

@thmoore, thanks for sharing your experience, it gives me some hope. I had taken the same flight a year ago (they used an airbus then, not the dreamliner), and I did not see any line at immigration or customs.

Qatar airways lets you select seats beforehand, and I have done it already. So that's one thing taken care of. Rest I leave to fate :)

@NomadicForever, my train starts from the long distance station (fernbahnhof) which has only two platforms, so it should not hold me up.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
7. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

The Qatar 787 deplanes from the front using one door (I saw it and took a picture of it in FRA two weeks ago). Getting off the plane is the least of your worries. You have to clear immigration/customs and then walk, and walk , and walk to get to the long distance platforms. I'd put the odds at 50% given an on-time arrival.

You will walk through the terminal, go upstairs to cross over to the hotel/office complex, then walk the long hall to the far station, take the escalator down (twice) to the platforms.

Kolkata
8. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

@GeoMedic: Thanks a lot for the beautifully precise information! They're exactly what I was hoping to get.

I have chosen an aisle seat one row behind the bulkhead. Despite the slim chance, I'd give it a shot!

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
9. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

May be you will be lucky and your train is delayed. DB ICE trains very often run late. I used FRA fernbahnhof weekly over a period of 6 months.

I still got it wrong now and then to find my way to station. May be Deutsche Bahn has put up better sign posting in the meantime. Good luck :-)

Kolkata
10. Re: Quick disembarkation off the Boeing 787-8 at Frankfurt

Thank you all for your advice. I am happy to tell that I made it to the train station with plenty of time to spare. Disembarkation started at 13:45 that day. I was one of the first economy class passengers to deplane, since I had an aisle seat at the second row. There was no queue at passport control or customs. My bag arrived very quickly. Ultimately I was at the Fernbahnhof at 14:15. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth everything went.

Due to delays in the German train network, I missed my second train and had to wait 1.5 hrs at Goettingen, but that's another story. :P