We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Australia
reviews: 17
Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Last month my husband & I flew with VA from Boston to LA to catch our connecting flight with Qantas on our return home to Melbourne. Qantas tickets were purchased in Sept 2012 and virgin America tickets we're purchased online in early Feb 2013.

We flew with VA because we understood that VA had a special business relationship with Qantas and that we would have no problems with our luggage.

Will guess what!! When we arrived at Boston airport to check in our luggage (2, 50 lb bags each) we were hit with US $100 extra because our Qantas flight had not been prearranged at the same time (or thru Qantas). The senior agent could have easily waived this extra fee as we showed him our Australian passports & Qantas tickets. But he refused.

It seems the airline industry is simply out to screw the customer in anyway they can! Their is NO customer charter anymore. Just profits!! During our travels thru USA with Southwest & American Airlines we never had to pay extra to check in luggage.

We travel a lot and we're sick to death of being constantly hit for extra's from water, a SEAT and now luggage!! why bother buying a ticket!! We're feed up!! We're now switching to short cruises.

Bugger airlines!!!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

"We flew with VA because we understood that VA had a special business relationship with Qantas and that we would have no problems with our luggage."

So basically you made a wrong assumption. Fail to see how that's anybody's fault but your own.

If drinks/seats/luggage weren't optional extras you'd simply be paying more for your ticket. A lot of people can do without so why should they be paying for those that can't?

Edited: 4:52 am, July 05, 2013
Shoalhaven...
reviews: 151
2. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Fully understand your situation, however it is still clearly of your own making. You made the assumption, you purchased tickets seperately. You took more luggage than allowed onto a domestic flight (despite the luggage allowance being clearly labeled when you made the booking).

Again, I do understand your complaint however it is unfortunate you did not confirm any assumptions before you beleived it.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

"We're now switching to short cruises." - Your choice but denying yourself so much of the world because you made a wrong assumption seems to be a bit extreme.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Yup, all your own fault.

You bought separate tickets, which means that your Virgin America flights were completely unconnected to your Qantas flights. So you pay for luggage as a VX domestic passenger, simples.

Consider yourself lucky that the Virgin flight from BOS-LAX made it on time, because had it been late - for whatever reason - you would have had your Qantas ticket cancelled as a no show and to buy a new one way ticket back to Australia at the walk up fare.

Bet you didn't think of that one either. Lucky you that you only had to pay $100 each rather than thousands.

Edited: 5:15 am, July 05, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 7
5. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

"The senior agent could have easily waived this extra fee as we showed him our Australian passports & Qantas tickets. But he refused."

So what he did was follow the policy of his airline. Nothing wrong with that. By the way, Southwest don't charge for your first 2 bags, so don't think you got any special treatment from them.

Next time (well maybe not, seeing as you seemingly refuse to fly now) maybe you'll research the airlines and their rules properly. Airlines CAN waive fees if they want to, sure. But why should they? They're a business after all.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

We're now switching to short cruises.

============

You won't. Once you have read the replies here and realise you made a glaring error you will fly again, but you'll ensure you book your connections on one ticket.

London, United...
7. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Oh my. Taking luggage over the luggage allowance inc in the ticket price and paying the published cost to transport that additional weight, well it seems a tad extreme to decide never to fly again because of it.

Easiest way to avoid charges is to see what luggage allowance is inc in your ticket price before packing and leaving for the airport and make sure your luggage complies.

I'm not quite sure how the op came to the assumption that because the airlines had a good relationship, that although she was on seperate tickets, they would throw her a freebie.

All in quite extreme really.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Since when does Virgin America and Qantas have an alliance??

VX is Virgin Australia's partner and VA is Qantas' competitor!

You had separate tickets for 2 unrelated airlines so the check in agent quite rightly charged you for baggage.

Unfortunately I think there was a lack of research on your part which contributed to this - not a failing in VX.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 29
9. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

I called Qantas today and asked them if they would be sending my luggage onto my next flight with Air Canada. The consultant told me that yes, Qantas has an alliance with most airlines EXCEPT Virgin. I may be a bit annoying but I call and check EVERYTHING before I fly. I like to be totally prepared and have no suprises.

London, United...
10. Re: Very disappointed with VIRGIN AMERICA

Ah you mean if you make a mistake you don't throw your toys out of the pram , blame the airline and then decide to have a lifetime of cruise holidays instead? :-))