We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

We were unfortunate and missed our first flight to London, which was on a return ticket with Malaysia stopovers. It was a midnight flight and we ended up a day late. Dumb.

Because we missed our first flight the airline cancelled all remaining flights on our tickets. We then had to re book and pay the current rate, an increase of $1,980.00. Not happy as the original were Early bird purchases at $1,980 cheaper.

However, having booked hotel and transfers for this trip, we were at their mercy,

We would have appreciated a fine of a lesser amount and not a whole new ticket at an exorbitant price.

We tried to discard the cost and enjoy our holiday however it was at the back of our minds the whole trip.

Don't think we will fly with them again. (Was our second Europe booking with them.)

Moral of the story - get your date right!!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
1. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Well the issue with special fares is precisely they can't be changed or cancelled. So missing a flight means losing the whole ticket... Costly experience though...

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Don't think we will fly with them again

------------------------------------------

Same rules will apply to all airlines.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
3. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Yep every airline would have done the same thing.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Well you have the good grace to admit it was your fault. But, as above, not flying with that airline again won't help you, as every airline will do the same - cancel your ticket as a no show and make you buy a new one at the walk up rate. Unless of course you want to pay for the fully flexible ticket up front.

>> Moral of the story - get your date right!! <<

Absolutely, and add to that "get the time right", and "plan to get to the airport early so as not to miss the check in deadline, in case there's a traffic jam on the freeway/points failure on the train".

Edited: 3:37 am, July 04, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

Those midnight flights are a trap aren't they. You're not the first to be caught out and you won't be the last.

It's a shame the airlines won't be a bit more flexible in applying their rules, but if they were, pretty soon everyone would come to expect it.

It's a mistake you won't make again! :-))

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

it was not a "fine" for missing your flight. You had to buy a new ticket, a walk up fare, because the ticket you had purchased, you failed to use. Its also not an "exorbitant charge" for missing your flight, the title of the thread is wrong, its simply you had to buy a new ticket as you threw yours away by mistake. It was the new ticket cost.

You will have had the terms and condiitons when you booked, and agreed to them, so have been aware you needed to buy a new ticket if you failed to turn up and use the ticket you had. As others have said, every airline would have done the same thing, so no point in blaming the airline, which even though you fully admit it was your error, you seem to be alluding to a thought that the airline should have in some way put their hands in their pockets and helped you out financially because you missed your flight through your own fault and nothing to do with them. They are a business and not your mother, they are not going to do that. Im sorry. Why should they?

Costly lesson and good thread as it will make others check their itineraries.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

<<Costly lesson and good thread as it will make others check their itineraries.>>

Yep we are flying to the US mainland via Honolulu in a couple of weeks. We leave Melbourne Australia in the pm of 20th July. We fly overnight. We stay in HNL for 13 hours and then we leave HNL and it will STILL be the 20th July. How many times do you think I checked that before I paid for the ticket?

UK
reviews: 84
8. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

As said, there was no "charge" for a missed flight. You threw your ticket away, and then decided to purchase a new one with Malaysian, you could equally have purchased a ticket with another airline.

Nuremberg, Germany
9. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

I would replace the general statement that all airlines will charge the maximum amount with “most airlines will charge…”.

E.g. I showed up one day late (due to own stupidity, though not a midnight flight) for a ShanghaiFrankfurt flight on Lufthansa.

My ticket was a discount fare that did not allow changes, refund or upgrades with miles. Yet, at the discretion of LH staff at the airport, they let me rebook for a fee of € 120.- and, as Eco was full, also let me upgrade to C with frequent flyer miles.

They missed out on the price for a full fare one-way ticket, but retained me as a very happy and loyal repeat customer.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
10. Re: Missed flight - exorbitant airline charges.

la0wei: I presume you are a premium M&M member...