We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Hi everyone,

Please can anyone assist us we are flying out of brisbane to sydney and then to johannesburg. Now our luggage is booked in at brisbane and sent on to johanenesburg.

We are travelling with my 3 young kids and worried as our flight from Brisbane leaves 7am and then arrives Sydney at 835am. Our flight back to Jhb South africa leaves 955am.

Question will we make it onto the JHB flight, and secondly what time do I book in in Brisbane,do we get all our international stuff done in Brisbane or sydney. Do we book in internationally in Sydney 3hrs before or as a domestic flightM

Please advise anyone, as we are a bit panicked.

Thanks,

Alan

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
1. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Hi Alan,

Are you booked on one ticket from Brisbane to Joburg on Qantas/South African?

2. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Hi Shooter,

Yes it appears that the flight from Brisbane to Sydney is quantas as well as syndey to jhb is also quantas. The travel agent booked the two flights at the same time and informed us we won't have to worry about our luggage.

I am not sure if that's what you asking.

Thanks,

Alan

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Assuming you have booked on the same ticket once you check in in Brisbane your luggage is checked all the way through to Joburg.

If you have been put on two separate tickets, something of which you will need to ask your agent you will need to collect your bags and re check in in Sydney for your onward flight to Joburg.

Hope this makes sense.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
4. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

qantas.com.au/travel/…transfer

5. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Hi shooter,

Yes makes sense, I definetly don't have to collect bags at sydney, so yes one flight or connecting from Brisbane to sydney.

But that still concerns me if I have enough time to get on the sydney-jhb flight.also should I check in at brisbane 3hours before as an international departure.

Thanks again,

Alan

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Checking in 3 hours before will be fine. The minimum connecting time for a domestic to an international flight is 1 hr.

You will be fine.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
7. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Once you have managed to calm down, you may want to delete the two other duplicate posts you have created:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6642364…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6642380…

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 6
8. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

You do not need to book in 3 hours ahead of time in Brisbane if your departure is from the domestic terminal. Stop worrying- it really is a seamless transfer. Like you I had a few little niggling worries as I needed to do just that when I flew to South America last year. 1 and a half our transfers are more than enough time. You will get both boarding passes here in Brisbane. When over at the International Terminal in Sydney you just need to go through Immigration and security.

9. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

Thanks Kameka,

You totally understood my question and have put me at a bit of ease. So basically I got 80mins if the flight runs on time for me my wife and 3 kids to get off the brisbane to sydney flight catch a seamsless transfer to international departures and get to our gate. Your reckon that is possible¤

Last question can you explain how this seamless transfer works.when we at the actual sydney airport. Ie do we leave domestic arrivals then catch a bus to international departures and wait in the normal queues or not.

Excuse my silly questions, just want to make sure I have my facts straight.

Thanks,

Alan

South Pole
reviews: 39
10. Re: Brisbane to sydney to johannesburg urgent advice

from the Qantas web site:

Transfer Information

Transferring from T2 and T3 (Domestic Airports) to T1 (International Airport):

The Transfer Lounge is located airside (after passing through the security check point), at Gate 15 in T3. A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight. The shuttle buses operate every 10-20 minutes from 6am to 9.40pm AEST. On arrival at T1 proceed up the escalator, through immigration and security to your departure gate.