We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Hour Flight Delay

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
24 Hour Flight Delay

Hi folks

Looking for some advice here

On a recent trip to Mexico our flight was delayed by 24 hours as the aircraft had hydraulic problems. Thomas Cook played the normal waiting game giving updates every 2/3 hours before admitting defeat at 17.30 and putting us all up in an inner city hotel in Manchester

My question is has anyone ever succeeded in getting compensation over and above the normal £xx.xx for x hours for the loss of one day of your holiday - how do you value a lost day???

uk
reviews: 74
1. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

It is impossible to put a cost on the lost day of a holiday.

However I think the EU compensation for such an event is 600Euros which I personally think is pretty generous.

Out of pockets cost, lost hotel nights etc may be claimable through your insurance.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

You are only entitled to compensation according EU 261/2004.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

I think you will have a fight on your hands just to get the comp you are due, never mind anything over and above,,sorry:-((

Chester, United...
4. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

I would be more than happy with 600.00 Euros each but I have a felling they will sight that the fault was a technical issue beyond their control

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

Yes, they were on watchdog as they like to claim exceptional circumstances for everything. The regulations are not supposed to allow mechanical fault as exceptional, as such, if it was hydraulic, they should pay. However trying to claim for something other than what you are due will simply delay it as they review it and say no.

Put in a claim and prepare to take them to small claims court ( I think it's online and a small fee, you dont have to actually go, but have never done it myself). Also prepare for it to take a long time and for them to say the hydraulic fault was actually due to something exceptional ie rogue wild dogs sabotaging the plane, whatever crazy excuse they can think of and that was the real reason it was delayed....:-))

Chester, United...
6. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

Thanks again

I have spoken with the CAA this afternoon and they say that if TC refuse our claim they will take it up on our behalf as they have details of all delays and fault / causes

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
7. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

They will, but be prepared for a long wait. They are taking at least 3 months, as they're still working through a backlog dating back 6 years!

They will write to TC requesting their maintenance logs etc and any relevant information, and then decide if they think compensation is due. If so they will ask TC to pay, but they can't make them pay. You may still end up taking it to court.

Edited: 11:32 am, July 03, 2013
Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 46
8. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

Don't want to disappoint anyone, but having spent over 25 years in the travel insurance business, I have never seen a policy that would compensate you for the value of time in your resort missed due to travel delay.

The policies I have dealt with over the years only provide a set sum for each complete 12 or 24 hours delay, or multiples thereof.

These policies include those sold by travel agents, banks, credit card providers, independent insurance brokers and have been a cross section of commercially underwritten schemes, affinity schemes and Lloyds of London syndicated risks. If there was such a policy out there, I' m fairly sure I would have seen it.

Chester, United...
9. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

Leyland

The person I spoke with at the CAA said they now have access to all the records for delayed flights of this nature

I am not bothered about waiting as we had a great trip albeit 20 nights and not 21 nights. The day at the airport was a great opportunity to see how some people totally overreact and panic. People demanding to get put on other flights and they no longer believed the plane would be safe to fly on - obviously this never happened

People demanding access to their luggage as they needed to take medicine even 5 hours when they were booked on a 10 hour flight anyway. People drinking too much and be told to be careful otherwise they might not allow them to board, etc, etc

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
10. Re: 24 Hour Flight Delay

Things must have changed at the CAA very recently as I was speaking to them last week. If they have it may speed the process up. I know of people who have been waiting weeks just for TC to reply to the CAAs request for their records!

You can't beat a bit of people watching. The great British tourist at its best lol!