We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vueling lost my bag

Barcelona, Spain
Vueling lost my bag

Hi all,

I flew to Barcelona with my girlfriend yesterday morning after 80 minutes queuing checking in and Vueling have sent my bag onto Ibiza as it was a connecting flight, my girlfriend got her bag ok but all the important stuff (electricals and medication) was in my bag! At the airport I reported my bag missing and they said they had stopped it in time from leaving to Ibiza it will appear on collection belt 6 in 10-15 minutes, so after 30 minutes I went bag as no bag and the guy who told me this had gone home and now the person i was speaking to said it had definitely gone to Ibiza at 2:35pm but they had 6 flights coming back from Ibiza and she would make sure it was on one of these flights and I should receive my bag later that evening. It got to 7pm and I'd had no confirmation text as promised so called them back up only to be told they hadn't received confirmation from Ibiza that it had arrived! So they can't advise anything further! They said if in the meantime I need to buy anything such as clothes they will cover me for upto €100, if my bag turns up today that's fine but if not €100 won't go very far! We've already had to buy an iPhone charger for €9 just to ensure they can contact us! I just can't believe what poor customer service I have received so far and the lies the staff tell to get rid of you,what's the best course of action to take? Can they legally treat people like this?

UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: Vueling lost my bag

all the important stuff (electricals and medication) was in my bag

----------

Why oh why oh why ?

2. Re: Vueling lost my bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, July 02, 2013
Edited: 7:35 pm, July 02, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: Vueling lost my bag

OK your bag is lost. Unfortunately it on occasion happens and I hope you get your bag back today.

>>as it was a connecting flight, my girlfriend got her bag ok<<

In which way was it a connecting flight? All bags from your aircraft will have been taken off and if you were going to another destination, your bag would have been tagged to there and put on another aircraft. Seems like something went wrong with the process at BCN.

This would not have been done by the airline but by the baggage handlers at BCN so Vueling staff are reliant on them for information which could be incorrect. All of this probably means nothing to you as you just want your bag back but you should be blaming the right people.

If Vueling have offered you €100 then go out and spend it. Then I presume you have travel insurance to cover the rest of your belongings.

Since your bag did not appear back from Ibiza I suspect they have no idea where it is. I suspect in BCN somewhere. Just as a general rule never put essential medicine or valuable electronics into checked luggage.

If you do not get your bag back at all then you will be entitled to further compensation by the airline but that is down the line. Sorry if this is putting a downer on your holiday. I hope it gets resolved.

Barcelona, Spain
4. Re: Vueling lost my bag

Hi,

Was the 'PARAGRAPHS' comment really necessary?

Oh look I did it, try posting something useful rather than asking questions about why I packed electricals and medication in my checked bag. Obviously this was a mistake and lesson learned but I don't need that pointing out.

Barcelona, Spain
5. Re: Vueling lost my bag

Thanks for the advice,

The flight was for Nice to Barcelona but was flying onto Ibiza, it seems the check in lady in Nice when checking our bags tagged my girlfriends to Barcelona only and mine to Ibiza.

I appreciate mistakes are made but I do blame Vueling as they have given me inaccurate info a few times now.

I do have travel insurance so not overly concerned about the possessions it's just my girlfriends medication for a thyroid condition.

Thanks again Ronaldo C

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
6. Re: Vueling lost my bag

Sorry to hear about the bag.

Important lesson though regardless as to not pack important things in your checked in luggage, especially for serious medical conditions as well.

Hopefully your insurance might offer you some help.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
7. Re: Vueling lost my bag

Obviously this is a learning experience for you. First, I always check the tags on my suitcases to make sure they have the correct airport code on them. If they are coded wrong when you check in, it is going to be difficult for them to arrive where you are arriving. This mistake does happen occasionally, and it only takes a minute to watch and make sure the tags have the correct destination.

I put every electronic device we will need in my carry-on. I divide our clothing into two suitcases, so if one goes missing we each have things to wear. I also pack emergency clothing and nightwear in my carry-on. Most importantly of all, my prescription medication goes in a bag under my seat and is never out of my sight. In fact, I let my husband carry all of our money, and even my passport, but no one carries my medication but me.

My philosophy is that I never put anything in a checked suitcase that I cannot afford to loose, and I always have enough things in my carry-on to survive for several days if I need to wait for a bag or replace clothing. I actually can live for 48 hours on what I carry in my handbag.

I put the address of my destination on the exterior label of my suitcase as well as on a large sheet of paper taped to the inside of my suitcase. If something is lost I want them to know to where it should be delivered.

I am sorry you have had this experience. I once lost my suitcase for 48 hours just before Christmas, and even though I was able to survive, it was upsetting. I hope it is quickly found and you can enjoy the rest of your vacation. In the future, there are some things you can do to minimize the immediate impacts of no cell phone charger and no thyroid medication.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
8. Re: Vueling lost my bag

If you were flying from Nice to Barcelona and the latter city is where you live, I think the airline will cover fewer emergency purchases than if it were a delayed bag travelling from your home city.

Since this happened in the last 48 hours, the bag is not lost but delayed; lost bags are considered that after having been missing for 21 days.

'... what's the best course of action to take?' Use the PIR (property irregularity report) number you should have been given by Vueling, keep hold of the bag tag you were given in Nice, and check the website / call the airline as necessary.

9. Re: Vueling lost my bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, July 02, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
10. Re: Vueling lost my bag

>>The flight was for Nice to Barcelona but was flying onto Ibiza, <<

Just to clarify that Vueling are a point to point budget airline so I doubt that the same plane was flying to Ibiza. Possible I suppose but unlikely as the planes are turned around in about 40 minutes. Why is that important? Well because as I said all bags will have come off the flight (hopefully) and if it was tagged to Ibiza then it will have been transferred to another aircraft.

However the baggage tags are generated by the booking system computer so it's strange that your bag would be tagged to a different destination than your GF's especially since I presume you checked in at the same time on the same booking.

I smell BS coming from the airline and the ground handlers here so I guess you just need to keep at them. At least since yesterday it has become cheaper to make and receive roaming mobile calls ;-). Are you based in Barcelona or just visiting?

Let us know how you get on.