We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 5
Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Does anyone know if I can take alcohol I purchased at duty free (OR Tambo Intl, Johannesburg) through Dubai on a stopover to Bangkok, or do I have to buy at duty free in Dubai. I wouldn't want to have it confiscated. I won't be leaving the terminal, just have a short layover.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
1. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

If it's in your checked in luggage then I don't see any problem. If you intend to carry it in your hand luggage, then it will be confiscated by security (subject to 100 ml rule).

Johannesburg, South...
2. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Thanks Tilly. Will it be confiscated even if its in the sealed duty free shopping bags from the previous airport?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

emirates.com/english/…

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
4. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Yes it will be confiscated as security in Dubai have no control over the security arrangements in South Africa.

Dubai Duty Free is one of the more massive Duty Free shopping experiences.

Website seems to be down at the moment though: http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/

Johannesburg, South...
5. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Ok thanks will play it safe and buy in Dubai then.

UAE
reviews: 28
6. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

The choice in Dubai Duty Free is better than at Joburg airport and cheaper too so there is no benefit in buying at OR Tambo.

Edited: 2:20 pm, July 01, 2013
Nuremberg, Germany
7. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

You can get Duty Free alcohol through security if they are in the original sealed duty free bag. But as already suggested rather buy in Dubai as they have an excellent range and prices.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
8. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

Just to make it easier for yourself, carry less & have less to worry about, buy at DXB. As others have said,the prices are great.

London
reviews: 16
9. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

I have done it (originating in LHR though) and it got through ok in the sealed security package. Did it as connection in Dubai was short - but whenever I do it, I'm always prepared that I may lose it at the connecting airport.

Melbourne, Australia
10. Re: Duty free alcohol through Dubai

The replies are bang on. Happened to me, they confiscated it due the liquid restrictions. If you can, get it in your checked baggage, otherwise I remember you can purchase it, they box it up and get your details then you retrieve it at the airport you arrive jn after departing Dubai. Not too sure how this process works, but alcohol prices in Dubai aren't that great for what you'd expect from duty free, remember they're still strict on alcohol in the country so prices will be reflected in that. Ps if you have a long lay over in Dubai and you're keen for some good food, towards 50 onwards gate there's a great restaurant. I can't remember the name but there'll be a female usher leading u up an elevator. Go if you want above average airport food or a good glass of red. Oh and you can smoke there too! Enjoy the biggest duty free in the world!