We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minimum connecting time LAX?

auckland
reviews: 8
minimum connecting time LAX?

Flying BNE LAX MCO all on VA PE, October.

Flight LAX MCO operated by Delta but VA flight number, has been rescheduled and we now have exactly 2 hours to connect.

VA have ticketed it (all on one ticket) with this connection but am wondering if it is an OK connection?

On NZ passport with ESTA visas.

Thanks for any help

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

Luckily your flights arrive and depart from the same terminal (5) so it is possible to make this but no one can guarantee that you'll actually make it since you have to go wait for luggage, go through immigration,customs, hand back luggage( just drop if off really ) and go through a security procedure before going to your next gate.

You have the right to a free change if you don't feel comfy with this new timing and you should know that IF you don't make your onward flight you would be put on the next "available" one which could be that day or the next depending on how full the flights might be.

South Pole
reviews: 39
2. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

I think now VA flights arrive at TBIT.

2 hrs IMO is not enough to get thru immi / customs and get to t5.

i would look for a 3 hour minimum

Melbourne
reviews: 7
3. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

"Virgin Australia flights depart from Terminal 3, and arrive at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

All Delta Air Lines operated flights (including the Virgin Australia codeshare services operated by Delta Air Lines) arrive and depart from Terminal 5."

If the OP is on a Delta operated flight, with a VA flight number, then they should arrive/depart T5?

OP - if you do in fact stay within the one terminal it might be worth giving VA a call to ask if they have any special processes in place for connecting flights. In May this year we flew Qantas Melb - LAX - JFK. At LAX, all passengers who had connecting flights (on the same ticket) were given express passes for immigration, had their luggage come out at the first/business class carousel and there was a special bag drop area set up. We were at our next gate in well under 2hrs.

South Pole
4. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

Delta don't fly out of Brisbane

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
5. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

Here is the official airline list from the LAX web site:

http://www.lawa.org/LAXAirlines.aspx

As i said in my first post VA LANDS at LAX in Terminal 5 which is the same terminal as Delta.

South Pole
6. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

And here is the official VA airport info site that says that they now arrive at TBIT

virginaustralia.com/au/…

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

VA defs arrive at TBIT as I too am travelling this route. The Delta flight departs from terminal 5. Now the Virgin rep I spoke to when booking the flights told me that as it is one ticket flights that our bags will be checked through to Orlando and we will not need to collect them ourselves in LAX?

How confusing is this! So do we have to collect them or not? If we do there is no way we could make a 2 hour connection which they (the airlines) set up for us.....?

South Pole
8. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

yes u have to collect your bags to go thru customs.

then u drop them off at TBIT just outside the secure area.

2 hours will be tight.

see your other post.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 2
9. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

Cheers lien :)

I will call Virgin again I think!!

auckland
reviews: 8
10. Re: minimum connecting time LAX?

Australia jetsetter - VA have told me that 2 hours is a valid but min connecting time and if both flights in and out of LAX are on the same ticket, they will "do their best" to ensure we meet the connection. If we miss it they will put us on the next flight. We have to collect our bags in LAX and drop them once thru customs.

Hope it will work, but not much we can do if it doesn,t - can't change connecting flight now as it is a 'vailid connection" and don't want to spend all day in LAX anyway!

When are you flying? We are flying 16 Oct, so if you go before us, would you be kind enough to post what happened to you and I will do the same.