We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

Coventry
reviews: 17
Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

My friend and i retuned from Tunisia on Saturday - where we have been countless times with Thomson, Thomas Cook, etc - only this time our flight was with Tunisair. On our return home last night we discovered that both our cases had been tampered with between checking them in and retrieving them at Manchester. I knew mine had been opened because the zip was not the way i closed it, the inside straps were not fastened and something I had in a handbag was lying on top of clothes. My friend however had the lock broken off the case and all her toiletries were scattered around and a purse containing cash was empty. This was the first time we have flown with Tunisair and certainly would not trust them again. Tunisia needs all the help it can get with tourists and to have this done to you is disgusting when you are going to their country to spend hard earned money. Surely there must been some kind of security cameras at the airport but it seems that opportunities are still there for someone - or more than one person - to rifle through passengers luggage and seemingly get away with it. Has anyone else had problems with this airline and what can be done to expose the thief/thieves working there.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

Chances are the people that dealt with your bags this time were the ame people that dealt with them in the past. Bag-handlers are usually employed by the airports and handle bags from all airlines.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

You blame the airline, yet, it isn't the airline that has magic eyes to peer inside bags. It isn't even their employees who operate the airport baggage system (imagine if each airline had its own baggage system in an airport... how redundant). Theft from bags is endemic around the world. *NEVER* pack valuables in your checked bags.

You didn't have a problem with the airline. You had a problem with the airport.

"a purse containing cash was empty" - sad, but predictable.

Report it to the airline. Report it to the police, Report it to the airport. Report it to your arrival airport.

Edited: 5:35 pm, June 30, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 115
3. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

"and a purse containing cash was empty."

___

Not sure this is a wise idea at all. No valuables - especially cash should be in checked luggage.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

I went to Tunisia once. Never again. Actually I only wet there once and they stole after shave out of my bag on the way back. Horrendous place.

Why on earth would anyone put cash in their checked bag?

Travel insurance? Although I doubt they would give you anything for leaving cash unattended.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
5. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

Travel insurance may cover some of the items, but as stated your complaint lies with the baggage people at the airport, not Tunis Air itself.

Airlines are themselves easy targets for blame, but not when they don't manage airport operations etc as such.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 200
6. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

If anyone wants to rifle through my suitcase when I return from a holdiay, all they are going to find is dirty washing. Everything else is in my hand luggage. I can't believe anyone would put cash in their checked bag.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
7. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

It is possible for baggage handlers at both the departure and arrival airports to gain access to luggage...Perhaps the theft actually occurred in Manchester...

Edited: 6:13 pm, June 30, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

Cash in checked luggage... Oh dear. More stupid tax being paid.

UK
reviews: 85
9. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

Travel insurance? Although I doubt they would give you anything for leaving cash unattended.

=========

Since the terms and conditions of nearly all airlines *specifically* forbid leaving valuables including cash, in checked luggage, i think its a near certainty you'd get nothing.

London
reviews: 21
10. Re: Where do I lodge a complaint about Tunisair

There have been many threads on Tunisia forum about theft from baggage at Tunisian airports. Since the uprising there have been many problems related to transport and infrastructure within Tunisia.