We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston - Miami - Vegas

Coventry, United...
reviews: 1
Kingston - Miami - Vegas

Does anyone know if our luggage will go straight through to Vegas at Miami?

We are flying with AA for both flights and have 1 hr 35 mins between flights. Do we have to clear customs? or is there a connecting flights area?

Thanks in advance

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

If both your flights are on one ticket then your luggage should be checked through to Vegas.

I'm not familiar on connections in the USA but if it is a similar procedure to the Schengen Area then I would assume you will clear customs when you land in Vegas but you will probably clear immigration in Miami.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

The USA immigration and customs is completely different to Europe.

On arrival at MIA you will have to clear immigration,collect your bags,clear customs and hand your bags back to AA after customs.There is much discussion on flyertalk about MIA immigration queues,and AA themselves have ceased offering premium service at MIA due to the queues extending up to 5 hours at the worst time of day.

Based on my experience as a regular MIA traveller I would say you have zero chance of making this connection.If you are all on 1 ticket AA will put you on the next flight with available seats,which may be the next flight,or the next day.

I would change this for a later connection if possible.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

USA is 100% not like Schengen. We have our own crappy system. USA takes 20 times longer so definitely don't confuse the two.

At a few international citied like dublin, you can pre clear, but for most flights, at point if entry to the USA, miami in your case, you go through immigration, then claim your bag at baggage claim, then go through customs, then if you have a connecting flight on the same ticket, you can typically drop the bag at a desk right after customs. Then you make your way to the domestic terminal and go through security. Miami can be really bad. I would want 3-4 hours for a connection there and have seen stories on this board of people taking that long just at immigration.

Edited: 2:41 pm, June 30, 2013
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

INS/Customs at Miami can be an absolute pain in the ar5e and seeing as you are a Brit travelling from Kingston to US you may get even more scrutiny so those on T/A that say you need at least 4 hours are absolutely spot on!!!

Coventry, United...
5. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

Hmmm.. not lookin gud then...

I thought I had read somewhere that Miami was one of the few airports in the states that will actually put your luggage through?

Guess it will depend on how many flights are landing at the same time (saturday afternoon) as to if we make it... we will be the very first people off the aircraft, so I guess that gives us a bit of a head start!?

Not too worried about gettin through Immigration (I am a UK government employee and this shows up on their system, so never have a problem once I get to the front of the line!)

How far is the domestic terminal from the international?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
6. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

"I thought I had read somewhere that Miami was one of the few airports in the states that will actually put your luggage through?"

___

No exceptions in the USA. Where had you read this?

Coventry, United...
7. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

ah... my mistake... just checked... its only if you are flying on to another INTERNATIONAL destination.

:-(

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
8. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

They key phrase there is "once I get to the front of the line."

Anyway, Miami has two international arrival areas. if both your flights are on American, you should be arriving and departing from the north terminal, which helps as you won't have to walk from one terminal to the other. Here's the airport map. Still going to involve going out of and then back through security, unfortunately.

miami-airport.com/baggage_international.asp

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
9. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

"its only if you are flying on to another INTERNATIONAL destination."

As far as I know, "One Stop" is only available at Houston's IAH airport.

From the MIA website "International arriving passengers must claim their luggage before clearing U.S. Customs. "

Edited: 6:35 pm, June 30, 2013
10. Re: Kingston - Miami - Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 02, 2014