We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment not taken for flight

Tokyo, Japan
Payment not taken for flight

Hi there,

I've recently (two weeks ago) booked a flight online with Japan Airlines using my Visa Debit card.

I've received a confirmation email, complete with a PNR, and I've had an e-ticket issued along with a 13-digit ticket number. However, the money has not been taken out of my bank account.

When I initially paid for the ticket, the money was taken out of my available balance, but it has now reappeared in my bank account.

I'm worried about this because I don't want to turn up at the airport and be told that I haven't paid for the ticket.

I've called Japan Airlines and they say that as far as they are concerned I have paid for the ticket, I have an e-ticket and ticket number and so am all set.

Does anyone have any idea why the money has not been taken out yet? They suggested that they may be treating it as a credit card and taking the money out at one point in the next few months, but I don't know if that's feasible.

As I say, I have a ticket number and e-ticket and JAL have confirmed my booking over the phone and via automated email, but I'm just concerned that the money hasn't been taken out two weeks after I booked it, and I have no idea when it will be taken out.

Has anything similiar happened to anyone else?

7 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Payment not taken for flight

Never happened to me - most of the time the charges appear almost immediately.

I would continue to pursue this as even though they say you have a ticket now it's possible the airline will cancel it if, or when, they realise that payment wasn't received and they might not even bother to tell you.

Also check with your bank to see what they say.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: Payment not taken for flight

Keep a close eye on your reservation. Ensure your correct payment info has been provided. Then relax and have a good trip. In my many years of flying, once I've had to wait a month for a charge to appear. Who knows why.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 2
3. Re: Payment not taken for flight

Hi 446ND123. I think the best thing to do now (and the fastest way) is to give a call to the bank and ask them about this particular payment. I am sure they will give you a reasonable explanation on why the airfare wasn't deducted. It is good that you have verified with the airline, but sometimes it will take them awhile to realize that your payment wasn't made. Good luck!

australia
reviews: 17
4. Re: Payment not taken for flight

Not sure if this is the case still...but in Japan it is not necessary to pay for seats until 2 Months prior to the travel date but that was with a travel agency...how far forward have you booked? I do find it odd though

Leeds
reviews: 4
5. Re: Payment not taken for flight

Hello,

Same thing has happened to me. Could you tell us what happened OP?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
6. Re: Payment not taken for flight

I have had payments made on credit cards (but not debit) in Japan that took 6 to 8 weeks to clear...

Valparaiso, Indiana
7. Re: Payment not taken for flight

I have exaclty the same problem right now. Did you got your problem fixed? What did you do? Hpping for your reply. Im also worried. Thanks

Reply to: Payment not taken for flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted