We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 9
BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

Finally made it home after a 29 hour delayed departure from Heathrow due to 2 planes with mechanical difficulty and then time limitation expiry for crew.

A packed 747 was advised the flight would not leave until the next day & that due to Wimbledon there were no hotel rooms available in all of London. The Sofitel opened up their ball room so passengers could sleep on the floor in sleeping bags!

Understandably things happen but the communication and customer service in this case was appalling! 4 BA customer service agents to handle over 400 passenger's inquiries.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a hotel room at the Comfort Inn that normally charges 89 GBP per night who charged me 250 GBP!

Will BA reimburse me? What would be considered reasonable compensation for the long delay?

Would greatly appreciate some advise prior to writing my long complaint letter.

Thanks!

23 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
1. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

katheer,

You have full passenger rights under EU261/2004, including €600 compensation per passenger for the delayed arrival at YVR. BA also has duty of care and should have provided you with hotel accomodation and meals. So you should claim for that too.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-delay.html

Complete the complaint form provided by the EU. Then send it to BA requesting a response within 28 days. Keep at least two copies of everything you send - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

If you don't hear a response, or you receive an unsatisfactory one, send the same complaint (all those copies you kept) to the CAA. - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

They will give their verdict as to whether compensation should be provided, and if so request it from BA. If BA doesn't oblige then you will have to resort to the Small Claims.

Edited: 11:43 pm, June 29, 2013
Vancouver, BC
3. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

Thanks for your replies.

I guess it would be asking too much for BA to be proactive and contact passengers first with the 600 euro compensation and then inquire about any other costs that may have been incurred??

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
4. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

>> I guess it would be asking too much for BA to be proactive and contact passengers first with the 600 euro compensation .... <<

That's what the airlines are supposed to do, within 7 days. But few do, although if any did it would be the likes of BA, so you may get lucky.

edit - I see that ibgardyloo has pointed the FlyerTalkers over here. :-)

Edited: 12:41 am, June 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
5. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

"I see that ibgardyloo has pointed the FlyerTalkers over here. :-)"

Yes I saw that but am not familiar with FlyerTalkers. :)

dupont washington
reviews: 6
6. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

check the following additional posts for more information at flyertalk

flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

post 745 and replies

Edited: 10:39 am, June 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
7. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

Appears I need to complete a claims form however am unable to locate one anywhere on line so would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know where I might find one.

Just to clarify does the 600 EU form part of the coverage of my hotel accommodation & meals or can I expect 600 EU PLUS the 250 GBP for the hotel?

Will also try for the one time upon availability upgrade...any chance BA will provide an open ended time line for this or will it be within one year? Can only afford to travel overseas every 2 years.

Thanks!

Madrid
reviews: 7
8. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

You are entitled to EU600 plus hotels and meals under BA's duty of care.

BA's new aircraft start arriving this week.Cant come soon enough for some people it seems.Good luck.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

>> Appears I need to complete a claims form however am unable to locate one anywhere on line so would greatly appreciate if someone can let me know where I might find one. <<

Here you go - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

>> Just to clarify does the 600 EU form part of the coverage of my hotel accommodation & meals or can I expect 600 EU PLUS the 250 GBP for the hotel? <<

The hotel should have been provided by the airline as part of the duty of care, and the compensation is in addition to this.

Vancouver, BC
10. Re: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!

Thanks all...wish me luck! :-)

Reply to: BA 87 - Heathrow to YVR - 29 hour delay!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted