We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta international connection too tight?

Evans, Georgia
reviews: 21
Atlanta international connection too tight?

We have a connecting international flight to London in September through Atlanta. After booking I notice that the layover time was 1hour, 38 minutes. I wasn't too worried until I decide to research a little more and found that although the flight is rarely cancelled, it has a poor on-time rating, running 35 minutes late. Called Delta to try for the earlier flight, $150 each change fee. There are 4 of us, for a total of $600. Is this something I should not worry about? There are two more flights out that day to London, but we upgraded our seats and it could be possible not to get the upgrades on the next flight. Someone told me to try going to our local airport and see if the ticketing agent could help, but that is an 1 1/2 (rounds trip) from my home. Help from experienced travelers is greatly appreciated!

atlanta
reviews: 31
1. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

So the connection is on the flight to London? In that case you should be fine.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
2. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

You should have no issue at all. It's DL's responsibility to get you there on next flight. For sure this is not worth worrying about, traveling great distance to talk to someone who likely can't help or paying the change fee. Even if you're 35 minutes late you still have enough time and your bags have two more shots.

Good luck. Enjoy the trip.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

1hr38 should be okay. I prefer two hour connections, but with an on time arrival you'd be absolutely fine. Even with a 30-40 minute delay (your concern) you'll be fine too. In fact you can probably absorb a full hour's delay and still make it (together with your checked bags).

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

When you book a through ticket the only risk you run is arriving late at your destination, because it's the airlines responsibility to get you on the next available flight if you miss the connection and if that means you have to stay overnight they put you up in a hotel and give you meal vouchers so I wouldn't spend $600 to change the flight and in any case it should be enough time we had a 50 minute connecting time and made it without a problem.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
5. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

Assuming you mean you're connecting through Atlanta on your way to Lodon, I think that's certainly an adequate connection time. But if you live in Evans wouldn't Atlanta be your point of origin? Perhaps you can clarify that.

Evans, Georgia
reviews: 21
6. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

Evans is closest to Augusta. 2 1/2 hrs drive to Atlanta airport. About 40 minutes to Augusta Regional, plus check in in Augusta is a breeze because it is smaller and parking plentiful.

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 92
7. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

An hour and 38 minutes is more than enough time. Even if your flight is 35 minutes late you still have time. Just go directly to the departing gate and don't stop to shop! I've made international connections (CVG to ATL to MUC) in less time. Good luck and have a great trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
8. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

I don't see much of an advantage since the time you save driving will be spent waiting for your flight and you risk connection concerns, but it's a matter of personal preference and it sounds like your plans are already set. I think your connection time is fine.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
9. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

Lots of time. For future reference, recognize that the little plane from Augusta to ATL is more likely to be affected by weather and crew issues than the big plane to London.

10. Re: Atlanta international connection too tight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 01, 2014