We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates refund practices

Melbourne, Australia
Emirates refund practices

I would be interested to hear of other experiences in dealing with Emirates. I booked two flights worth nearly $3000 with this airline on 24 March, aware that these were fully refundable, subject to a EUR50 cancellation charge. I called the airline on 1 June to cancel these tickets, because of family health issues, and I was told that a refund would be issued in around 15 working days. It is now 20 working days or 4 weeks since this phone call and I still have not received my refund. I called the airline on 24 June and again on 26 June and was told both times to wait "for one or two days". This is surely not acceptable practice from a major airline?

56 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Emirates refund practices

One thing is when the airline process the refund. Another is when your credit card will process it - that can often take 2 billing cycles.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Emirates refund practices

No, thanks, but the problem is more serious. I have just been on the phone to them again and they seem to have lost the online form that I filled in. Their system seems to be broken. I recommend not to book with this airline if you may need to cancel!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
3. Re: Emirates refund practices

<< I recommend not to book with this airline if you may need to cancel!>>

Not sure that many people would book anything if they thought they may need to cancel.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Emirates refund practices

Then you can't book with any airline;-)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
5. Re: Emirates refund practices

We had to wait for over a year for a refund with Lufthansa when they cancelled a flight so don't hold your breath.

London
reviews: 25
6. Re: Emirates refund practices

I cancelled my flight in January with Emirates, because of family bereavement. I cancelled on the Monday and the amount, less penalty charge, was back in my account on the Friday. All completed within 5 working days, which to me was excellent service.

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 143
7. Re: Emirates refund practices

We had to cancel Emirates flights a few years ago. We were told it could take up to 12 wks for the refund to come through. I think it actually took about 8 wks, but we got our refund with no problems. Those flights were booked through a travel agent, but the refund came directly to us from Emirates.

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Emirates refund practices

Why should it take anything like 4 weeks, let alone 8 or 12 weeks? If I return something to a store, I get a credit to my account immediately! I am sure this forum doesn't want to see all the gory details but my angst is compounded by the very poor response of their call centre agents in a total of 4 phone calls made following what seems clearly now to have been a failure in their website. They have failed to take responsibility or apologise, as yet ("customer is always right", no? -- and indeed in this case the customer did actually do whatever might be reasonably expected), although I have to admit I have only this morning submitted a full complaint with all the details.

London
reviews: 25
9. Re: Emirates refund practices

I was lucky with my Emirates refund, JBC, being dealt with in 5 working days.

Just had problems getting refund from another airline and hotel booking. This was Tunisair and hotel in Tunis. As they did not respond to my e mails and requests, my credit card company dealt with the situation and have now been refunded. To save you the hassle, will your credit card company assist you.

Edited: 3:28 am, June 29, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
10. Re: Emirates refund practices

I am out $2013.68 You will only get stalled by these guys, I have been jerked since Feb. 2013.

In addition to 5_ hours on the phone the following complaints have been filed.

Emirates refused to respond to the Better Buisness bearu complaint.

Emirates NY Ref : NYC/X/SC/260613/686131 FAX +121275834434

Orbitz LocatorAP110101ODJYSA0D BBB Complaint Case # 94450489

Emirates Ticket# 1767172927633-634 BBB Complaint 9546287

CondeNast Travel Magizine– Article to be published on Airline Theft

US Dept of Transportation Case # KC2013050065

Emirates business practices are very unethical.

Reply to: Emirates refund practices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted