We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Oxford, United...
Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Experienced delays going out on 17th june and coming back 24th june 2013 from birmingham to corfu. Booked flights through tour operator On The Beach. They booked flights with olympic holidays who contracted for us to fly with small planet, a lithuanian airline company (though I have never heard of them) but we ended up on a plane by another company called enter air which is polish - equally unknown! Going out the flight at 13.55 was moved 2 days beforehand by 3 hours but when we got to the airport it was delayed again by a further hour departing at 18.00. Coming back the flight at 20.15 was moved again prior to the day of departure by 4 hours and took off another hour later at 23.30. On this flight we were told we would have to stop at milan for more fuel (1.5 hour journey) because the plane was too big (a Boeing 737 400 seater) and too full to take off on a short runway in corfu with a tank full of fuel. The refueling took one hour. When we booked the flights they were good day flights for which we were happy to pay full price - not cheap - but they were turned into nightmare flights. olympic holidays told me that small planet often do other runs in the day to help out other companies so can't always meet their pre-scheduled commitments!!. Never got told why suddenly enter air were our airline carriers. I have now taken legal advice and will be claiming compensation under EU regulations relating to delayed flights and searching the small print for breach of contract. (There is a standard letter on moneysavingsexpert.com to claim compensation). I am beginning to wonder if these airlines ever deliver to their advertised times and feel olympic holidays must be aware of these constant delays/changes as there have been lots of complaints on Trip Adviser .

24 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

a Boeing 737 400 seater

-----------------------------

You mean a 737 with 400 seats?

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
2. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

There is already a similar thread (or two) running on this forum, Skiathos(2) and Kefelonia forums.

I don't know how accurate this is but it has been said that SPA do not have a licence to operate from Birmingham airport which is probably why you were on Enter Air, other passengers have been bussed up to Manchester and departed from there on SPA. All in all not a very good situation.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
3. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

<<Booked flights through tour operator On The Beach.>>

On the Beach aren't a tour operator. They are just an online booking company . A 737 400 seater?? You mean a 737-400, not 400 seater! Seating capacity is around 150, but not all 737s are capable of taking a full load of pax, luggage and fuel and taking off at certain airports with short runways, so a fuel stop is required. We've got one with Jet2 flying out of Lanzarote.

As Olympic seem to think that Small Planet can't meet their commitments, it makes you wonder why they contract their flights out to them? Err- let me think. Their seats come cheaper than other airlines. Small Planet have in turn contracted Enter Air to do those flights, for whatever reason.

Unless you arrived more than 3 hours later than your notified scheduled arrival time you aren't entitled to compensation. If your fights were only delayed by an hour, even including a 1 hr fuel stop, it seems unlikely that you would be eligible.

Airlines don't have a licence to fly out of specific airports. If they are licensed to fly in the EU, they can fly out of any airport.

Madrid
4. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Not the lenght of the runway at Corfu,its the obstacle in the take off path.I would expect a full B737-400 on a hot day to need a fuel stop on the way back to the UK.

Oxford, United...
5. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Hi thanks for the info - much appreciated - as you can see I am no expert but learning fast. Our delays were more than 3 hours each way and I will be trying to claim compensation and possibly a small claims court if necessary. As other email threads say Olympic are using these cheap airlines but charging full price tickets and know passengers will probably be delayed and diverted. Not good enough. Genuine reasons for delay are acceptable - we all understand this happens from time to time but they are taking the mickey.

Derbyshire
reviews: 73
6. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

<<Olympic are using these cheap airlines but charging full price tickets>>

If you'd booked direct with Olympic holidays, you may have been offered a choice of carriers.

For example, Birmingham to Corfu is showing a choice of Thomas Cook or Thomsons, from Gatwick both those plus Easyjet.

A lot of people don't realise that you can choose an alternative flight (for a higher cost) from that shown in the 'headline' price.

On the issue of price, I would say that OTB (who have a pretty poor reputation generally) are to blame rather than Olympic as it was they who quoted you the price.

Did they give you a choice of flights at all?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
7. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

<<Our delays were more than 3 hours each way and I will be trying to claim compensation and possibly a small claims court if necessary. >>

You said "Going out the flight at 13.55 was moved 2 days beforehand by 3 hours but when we got to the airport it was delayed again by a further hour departing at 18.00. Coming back the flight at 20.15 was moved again prior to the day of departure by 4 hours and took off another hour later at 23.30"

So you were only delayed by an hour going out. Obviously the return you had the hour fuel stop, as well as another hour delay, but unless you landed 3 hours after your scheduled arrival time, you aren't entitled to compensation. You can take into account the flight time changes, as these aren't delays but notified schedule changes.

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
8. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Your flight going out was as already pointed out, only delayed by one hour. You can't count the flight time change which you were notified of. Coming back you were only delayed by 2 hours so I think if you go down the small claims path, you will be throwing money away!

Oxford, United...
9. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Thanks for this - my legal advisor has informed me differently so following his advice - obviously don't want to say too much in a public arena as olympic probably read all of these messages.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
10. Re: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays

Are you claiming compensation from the tour operator?

Reply to: Beware of Flight delays to Corfu with Olympic Holidays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted