We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Scotland
reviews: 138
Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Is this possible if not bought on same ticket. Travel next week BA Glasgow to LHR terminal 5, then onwards from terminal 3 with Thai airlines to Bangkok. Bought tickets separately. Transfer time at LHR is 3 hours. Can I check bag the whole way? Save me lugging it between terminals and save time if my domestic delayed for any reason.

Loughborough...
1. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

No, BA don't through-check baggage to other airlines unless you are on a single ticket, or the second airline is in the OneWorld Alliance. Thai is in Star. That's not to say they can't - it's just company policy not to.

Scotland
2. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Thanks Andy...may just travel light then...starting to worry that perhaps I've left connection time too tight? If I online check in with Thai and print boarding pass and go hand luggage, is 3 hours enough between 5 and 3 terminals? Do I use flight connections route to transfer or Heathrow Express?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

You've booked a very risky itinerary.

With an on time arrival at LHR you may be okay. You'll have allow time for the aircraft to taxi to the gate, walk to bag claim, collect your bags, travel land side from T5 to T3 (that itself is up to 30 minutes including getting to the check in hall) and then join the queue at the TG check in desk.

But, if there's any delay and you fail to make check-in, bag drop or boarding, you'd be toast. Your LHR-BKK ticket would be cancelled as you're a no show and you'd have to buy a new ticket, at the walk up fare (eye wateringly expensive).

Seriously reconsider your plans, and think about a (much) earlier flight from GLA or even the train from Glasgow to London the day/night before.

Edited: 4:33 am, June 26, 2013
Scotland
4. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

My ba flight arrives 0915 terminal 5, Thai flight leaves 1230 terminal 3. Assume hand luggage only, still too risky?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

With a ticket from London to Bangkok at risk, imo yes. It's up to you.

uk
reviews: 73
6. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

As USBT says, if everything goes well with your first flight, you'll not have an issue.

If you can do OLCI for your Thai flight and have your BP printed then you'll be able to use the air side flight connections. In fact, even if you don't have a BP but have a printed itinerary then you should be able to stay airside. Assuming you do have carry on only.

I personally have made much shorter intra-terminal connections at LHR without issue but I've always had the security of knowing if I were delayed, the airline would be responsible for rerouting me.

In your case, if you're delayed into LHR and miss your Thai flight then you are completely on your own. Neither airline will have any responsibility for you and you'll be forced to rebook at considerable expense. Only you can decide if you're comfortable with this risk.

Scotland
7. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Thanks GeordieEngineer, wasn't sure if I could use flight connections. That'll hopefully speed me up a bit. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for your input.

Scotland
8. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Can anyone confirm how much hand baggage I can take..a small carry on and a handbag?

London.UK
reviews: 1
9. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

Woody. Based on what you have already been told I would worry less about your hand baggage and more about the ridiculously tight connection times you have given yourself.

If you don't make the connection you have lost your flight to BKK and all the costs that will involve. Get to Heathrow the day before and book into a cheap airport hotel for the night.

UK
reviews: 85
10. Re: Checking luggage thru to final destination, BA then Thai Air

I don't think its "ridiculously" tight as long as the OP is hand luggage only and gets a boarding pass for the Thai flight so he can use flight connections.

It is risky, how risky, hard to say. I was at Edinburgh airport weekend before last, a couple of BA flights were announced as canceled whilst I was waiting for mine, no idea why, but IIRC one was the one to Heathrow right before mine. if that was the OPs he'd be in a heap of trouble.

No idea why he didn't book a through ticket but presumably to save money, now he's between a rock and a hard place, either spend a lot of money buying another flight and a hotel, or take a chance on a very expensive missed Thai flight.

I most certainly wouldn't be taking hold luggage if I stuck with the existing flights, that's for sure.