We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time between flights .. which would you choose?

Australia
reviews: 19
Time between flights .. which would you choose?

Hi all....

Flying into LAX at 6.05am on a Friday morning ( next Feb ) on a Virgin Australia flight. I'm looking at flights with SW to LAS and am trying to decide if we'd have enough time to catch the 9am one or if we'd be safer on the next flight at 9.55am? Would rather have the extra hour in Vegas of course...................

I'm hoping I can talk my daughter and her boyfriend into traveling with carry on only so we don't have to waste time waiting for luggage to pop up in the carousel!!

Which flight would you choose?

11 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
1. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

I would go the 9.55am flight just to be safe taking into account changing terminals that way you have a extra hour incase of delays :-)

I know SW airlines are pretty strict with their check in time close off.

If the airfare is cheap enough at moment you could book both and forfeit one of them on the day.That way if you miss the first flight you have a back up plan. I imagine the price would go up on the day/week of travel.

Edited: 1:13 am, June 26, 2013
Australia
reviews: 19
2. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

Thanks r2k. I think the last time we did this flight I left about 4 hours to be safe but was a long tiring wait after the 13 hrs from Brisbane!!

The flights have only just been released for sale and are $85ow which is heaps more than I've paid in the past but then again we are flying on a Friday.

As for the check in I have to sit down and work out the time difference cos I don't think we can check in online ourselves as we'll be in the air but may even get my sister to do this for us all... that way at least we might get a good boarding position!!

Perth, Australia
3. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

Yeah hopefully you can check in while still in Oz and that will save you heaps of time if you guys just have carry on luggage.

Im pretty sure i paid $39 for the same flight but that was 2 years ago!

With your Virgin Flight try and select a seat towards the front of the plane that way you can be first off and get a bit of a head start on the immigration lines

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

I would be booking the later flight considering the terminal change and the usual chaos at T1

u never know they might put u on an earlier flight if u manage to get there in time for that.

I have heard of them doing it the other way around for late international pax without penalty..

5. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 26, 2013

6. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, June 26, 2013

7. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 26, 2013

8. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, June 27, 2013

Perth, Australia
reviews: 15
9. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

I'd agree, go with the later flight to Las Vegas to give yourself that bit of extra time, just in case. Virgin's flights were arriving at T5 for a while, which often made for a much quicker run through US customs and immigration, but now they have gone back to arriving at the Tom Bradley International Terminal, and the processing delays there are legendary, judging by posts on various forums! It shouldn't be too bad, as your flight gets in quite early, it just depends on what other international flights are arriving at around the same time.

As far as check-in goes, it did my head in trying to work it out (especially travelling from Perth), as effectively you go backwards in time when flying from the east coast of Australia to the US, and arrive before you leave! To save us having to worry about it, we just paid the extra for Southwest's Earlybird check-in - it was worth it for the convenience.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
10. Re: Time between flights .. which would you choose?

Go with the later flight it's only an hour later and would give you peace of mind.

Reply to: Time between flights .. which would you choose?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted