We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

Edmonton
reviews: 14
Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

Does anyone know of an upcoming air traffic controller strike planned for Thursday, June 27th in Lisbon? I have people there who have notified me they heard it there, but Air Canada (who is flying them home) says they know nothing and will not make arrangements yet. Apparently other airlines are making changes and waiving fees, but not AC. Anyone heard?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

Air Canada does not operate to/from LIS. If they're ticketed with AC they'll be on a code share flight operated by either TAP, Lufthansa or United.

So check those airlines for cancellations and travel waivers, and find out from your friends what their AC flight number is and which airport they're flying directly to from LIS.

Edited: 11:33 pm, June 25, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

Follow up -

Yes there is a strike scheduled for 27th affecting all airports in Portugal.

easytravelreport.com/Portuguese-air-traffic-…

I assume that AC's Star partner will assist your friends. Unless they can get out tomorrow (26th) then it looks like they're stuck.

They should be looked after however, as good old EU261 mandates that airlines provide duty of care, including hotel accomodation and meals. And duty of care is still required in extraordinary circumstances (it's just the compensation that's not). If they don't hear anything, they should get to LIS >>very early<< so as to get first pickings from the available hotels (if there's a choice).

Edmonton
3. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

They are ticketed with AC and the flight is operated by TAP. The flight is AC 6927 (TP 352) to LHR and then onto YEG with AC on an AC plane. I will try with TAP, but they already told me to contact AC as it was ticketed with them.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
4. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

If TAP told you to contact AC then that's who you probably should contact.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
5. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

It's a general strike by the two largest unions in Portugal, not just ATC at Lisbon.

Edmonton
6. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

AC won't do anything yet, so I guess we are at a standstill. I was really just curious about on the ground info about the strike (hoping it wouldn't happen, but that doesn't sound likely). Thanks for all your info:)

7. Re: Air traffic controller strike in Lisbon on June 27th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 28, 2014