We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

San Diego
Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Overbook flights and then kick you off. After I was kicked off was offered standby for a flight 5 hours later. Can you believe that. They suck. Stay away. I should have booked on United.

San Diego
11. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

System will not allow online check-in under 2 hours. This was a last minute trip and so I purchased tickets for a flight that was going to be leaving in under 2 hours. Sometimes you can't plan a trip days in advance. If the was no chance of me getting on the flight then don't sell me a ticket I can go book on another flight. If this is the case that you can't book last minute flights then let your passengers know that you are on standby. Don't give me a confirmation of a seat.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
12. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

The low cost carriers in the UK don't oversell tickets and seem to be making excellent profits. You buy a ticket from Ryanair and you get a seat.

Jackie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
13. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

The low cost carriers in the UK don't oversell tickets and seem to be making excellent profits.

________

Completely different operating environment.

Hertfordshire
reviews: 16
14. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

<<The low cost carriers in the UK don't oversell tickets >>

Oh yes they do! Have you never watched the TV programme "Airport"?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
15. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Edmund,

In that case pursue the compensation mentioned in #10. If you had a confirmed ticket, and presented yourself for check in before the cut off time then VX owes you 400% of the ticket price for that flight up to $1300. It's also in their contract of carriage (pages 22 and 23).

virginamerica.com/html/contract-of-carriage.…

Worthing, United...
16. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Hi

I watched every episode of Airline and there was never an occasion where Easyjet had oversold a flight. People made mistakes, people missed flights and sometimes flights were cancelled but nobody was denied boarding because Easyjet had resold their tickets. It was usually people who arrived after check in closed who went crazy.

But if the USA has a different operating environment then why do BA and other European legacy airlines oversell regularly.

Jackie

London
reviews: 73
17. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

We should probably be wary about making the assumption that Easyjet never overbooked flights, just because it has never been shown on a TV show.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
18. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

"allow online check-in under 2 hours. This was a last minute trip and so I purchased tickets for a flight that was going to be leaving in under 2 hours."

Wait - so if they hadn't sold you a ticket for the original flight the next available Virgin ticket would have been 5 hours later on the flight you actually got on? I don't see the problem here. You wound up in the same position you wouldve been in if they'd done what you said they should have done, and you get 400% compensation to boot!

Worthing, United...
19. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Hi

It's part of their business model, Ryanair don't over book either. They both will resell your seats if you miss check-in but only if you are a no show.

Jackie

San Diego
20. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Flight was at 12:15. I purchased tickets at 9:50am. System did not assign me a seat nor did it allow me to do a online check-in. Instead it said I needed to go to Virgin America desk for check-in and seat assignment. I got to the airport at 11:00 went to the desk and they said that the flight was full and that I need to check-in 2 hours before the flight. See the problem here. I had a confirmation number. A lot of good that did. They over sold the flight and then tried to put me on standby for a 5pm flight. I instead canceled my tickets and got a refund. Went over to United and booked a flight that left at 2pm. Virgin America sucks. They are rude and horrible people.