We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

San Diego
Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Overbook flights and then kick you off. After I was kicked off was offered standby for a flight 5 hours later. Can you believe that. They suck. Stay away. I should have booked on United.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Yep that's what we like to see,another first time rant without any details!!!

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 61
2. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

"Booked on United" Search these forums, you'll find far worse complaints about United than your Virgin complaint.

If you pay as much attention to those as you expect people to pay to your rant then you're doomed.

San Diego
3. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Sorry, I can give details but what is the point. Purchased tickets at the last moment for a flight out. If there are no seats available don't sell tickets. They do because they don't want empty seats so they over sell flights. They will deny this but it's a lie. System tells me I need to check-in at the Virgin desk so that I can get my seat assignment. I get to the airport 1 hour before flight and they tell me that the flight is fully booked and I can't get on. BS. If the flight is that full then don't sell me a ticket and make me go to your desk only to find out it's full.

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Why only an hour beforehand, was the recommendation not two?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
5. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Airlines overbook because they anticipate a certain percentage of no shows. By allowing overbooking it allows them to generate more money and subsidize the fares they offer currently. All airlines (bar a couple of exceptions probably) overbook so you could easily end up with the same on United.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
6. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

All airline flights are oversold to some extent, and I believe domestic carriers in the States do it more often than most. Airlines are forced to do this because every flight has a percentage of no-shows for one reason or another - this is only business as usual. These flights have to make a profit, or there is no airline!

London, United...
reviews: 35
7. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

I thought quite a few airlines (if not most) oversell in case of no shows? Am I wrong?

Berkshire, England
reviews: 58
8. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

I believe that all airlines oversell flights! I think maybe you should have arrived at the airport a bit earlier than an hour before your flight.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
9. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

Recommended times for airport, 90 mins for domestic, 2 hrs for international.

Edited: 3:57 pm, June 25, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Stay Away from Virgin America Airlines

As mentioned, virtually all airlines overbook flights expecting no shows. When they are in an oversold situation and have to involuntarily deny someone boarding, they have to pay IDB compensation. In the US, for a five hour delay on a domestic flight, that's 400% of the price of the ticket for that flight up to a $1300 maximum. So, haven't you received or claimed that?

cfr.regstoday.com/14cfr250.aspx#14_CFR_250p5

The best way to avoid IDB is to check in early, not one hour before departure. You have online check in available as well.

Edited: 4:06 pm, June 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions