We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on American Airline Carriers

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 1
Advice on American Airline Carriers

Hi all, I have heard many reports about American airlines (all airlines, not AA) being constantly late, and expecting long waits at the airport. Just wanted to know the usual delay time, and how often this actually occurs? Constantly or ocassionally. As we are on our holiday, I am obviously concerned with being stranded over night, and missing the opportunity to have extra days in cities etc.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
11. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

Your best bet is to know which airports are more prone to delays, and to avoid them. Avoid high traffic days such as Friday afternoon/Monday morning - it's just common sense.

You should expect delays when using airports like JFK, ORD, IAD, DEN or ATL.

Edited: 3:55 pm, June 25, 2013
Dallas
reviews: 18
12. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

You can also go to flightaware.com and see what the latest departure times and arrival times are for any flights on any airlines. So you can see for yourself on the flights you are considering.

You are asking questions that are entirely to general to answer. You have to get specific and look up the data, not rely on peoples opinions, if you are really wanting an answer.

Australia
reviews: 20
13. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

Hi Danielle... coming from Australia too I understand your concern re delayed flights whilst on holiday. I changed a few of our destinations because I was worried we'd get snowed in and miss our cruise out of New Orleans!!!

I've been to the States twice now and flown a number of times with Delta, Southwest and Jetblue ( these are the only US airlines I've flown ) and my experiences have all been good. There's really no guessing when or where flights will be delayed .. it's part of the "fun" of traveling!!

Have a great trip and don't worry too much about your flights, what will be will be!

Phagwara, India
14. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

In general most airports won't be anything like you might have experienced in Asia or the middle east. They're all relics from a bygone era, with a few nice terminals here and there.

Edited: 1:34 am, June 26, 2013
San Diego
15. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

If you were traveling during the winter time here in the USA, weather might be a factor. Since it is summer, not a problem. Allow extra time for check-in and security check points. Avoid flying on Virgin America. Rude employees and horrible customer service. They over sell their flights.

tucson, az
reviews: 6
16. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

>>If you were traveling during the winter time here in the USA, weather might be a factor. Since it is summer, not a problem.<<

Untrue. Summer has dust storms in Phoenix, monsoon weather in Tucson, thunderstorms including tornadoes in the Plains states, the Midwest and Texas. Thunderstorms everywhere. Summer is hurricane season so the Gulf states can get affected.

That said, travel early whenever possible. And don't blame the poor airline employee when a thunderstorm shuts down the airport in Dallas. Or NYC.

17. Re: Advice on American Airline Carriers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 28, 2014