We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Dreamliner

Southampton, United...
reviews: 12
Thomson Dreamliner

Hi everyone, I'm booked for the dreamliner to go to Mexico in December. Iv heard of mixed reviews about premium upgrade do you think it is worth it? It's going to cost £500ish each to upgrade so it a lot of money. Any comments will be greatly received.

614 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Nobody has yet flown Thomson Dreamliner, so I guess it's hard to guess if it's worth upgrading.

Blyth, United...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Actually that's not quite true, the Thomson Dreamliner started flying to Mahon a couple of days ago prior to putting it on the long haul routes. That said, I haven't yet seen any posts on what it's like.

We've flown long haul with Thomson/First Choice on a number of occasions and always flown premium. Costs have been anywhere from £179 to £299 each.

At £179 each I would say go for it, it does give you a few more inches of room so a bit more comfort to try and get some sleep on a long haul overnight flight.

At £299 I thought it was a bit steep for what you get so we said we would try economy next time and see how we get on.

At £500(ish) each it wouldn't be worth it for me, I'd rather have the £1000 to spend on other things and put up with a few hours discomfort but everyone has to make there own choice so until you've actually spent the money and experienced it for yourself then you'll never know if it was worth it to you or not.

We fly out to Cancun on the Dreamliner (in economy) on July 13th so I'll be able to feed back my experience when we get back to the UK.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
3. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Anytime we have flown with Thomson, we have always paid for the upgraded seats - don't think they will be much different on the Dreamliner. We really enjoy the experience and see it as part of our holiday.

However, £500 each is extortinate and I can't see the value in this. I would pay that for two people maximum. What you could do is pay for extra legroom seats and a bottle of champagne ;-)

It might have been cheaper to book the upgraded seats at time of booking though?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
4. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

No one has flown and had the Premium service yet, although some passengers may have sat in the premium cabin.

I have always liked the premium service itself, but we mainly book premium for the extra legroom, which is even bigger on the Dreamliner. How much we'd be prepared to pay for it, I'm not sure. Hubby does need the extra legroom, and I am a nervous flyer, and like to be at the front of the cabin, preferably with just 2 seats, so yes, we'd probably pay quite a bit for it :(

That's for personal reasons though. Whether it's worth to you is also personal, and only something you can decide.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 131
5. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Not sure if this will help you to make your mind up:

seatplans.com/tried-and-tested/airlines/thom…

It is a review written by someone that flew on the Dreamliner from Mahon in Premium.

6. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, June 26, 2013

uk
reviews: 73
7. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Thanks for the link jubline.

I always enjoy Tom Otley's reviews.

Be sure to check out his EC review here:

businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested/airli…

The EC pitch sounds very impressive and as TO points out, is approaching that offered as a PE pitch by some airlines.

Given the EC seat pitch, I personally would find it difficult to justify the extra for the premium product especially at the prices the OP mentions.

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
8. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

The economy club cabin is actually very roomy and airy as it is, it has great IFE, loads of legroom and the standard long haul product is very pleasant overall with improved meals and amenities. It's not really comparable to the older 767 economy cabin and the older meal services. I'm 6 foot but I'd be more than happy to fly 10 hour sectors plus in those seats.

If it was my £500 I'd want to spend it on holiday personally, it is quite a big difference. And as others have said, any reviews on premium upgrades that you're finding online at the moment aren't from a long haul flight on this aircraft as it doesn't fly long haul until next month. The new service has been rolled out on 767s already, but to get the whole experience you'd have to wait until July.

Connahs Quay...
9. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

My wife and I flew from Palma on Dreamliner "Alfie" on 24th June.

we sat in economy club. I would not have paid £500 to sit in premium.

Premium club is only nine rows of seats.

Kent
reviews: 41
10. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

where did you get £500 each from?? even on there website it's not that much, we're going mex in nov on dreamliner and keep getting calls to upgrade, i'm not interested in doing do but i'm sure they would be haggled down if your good at that.

Reply to: Thomson Dreamliner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted