We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hand luggage Thomas Cook

Salford
reviews: 2
hand luggage Thomas Cook

3 of us travelling end of Aug Thomas Cook and I'm wondering can I just take on one bag for all our hand luggage?? I really don't want to have to carry on three bags, when one will hold all I need for everyone and it is size appropriate.

thanks

UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Of course ! Its not obligatory to each take a hand baggage with you :-)

Note that as well as size restrictions, there are also weight restrictions which IIRC for TC is very low, might be 5kg. That isnt much between 3 especially once you deduct weight of bag.

Edited: 6:45 pm, June 24, 2013
Salford
2. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Thanks Jo,

don't think I explained that very well what I meant was can I take all our individual 5kg allowances and use just one bag, so rather than 3x 5kg just 1 10-15kg bag

thanks

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 20
3. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

No you can't do that.

What you could do is have it all in one bag for "most" of the time but it will need to be quickly and easily split into 3 lots of luggage that each meet the rules anytime it is checked.

You will also need to make sure you all stay together so that each person can be carrying their luggage when required. If someone gets ahead in the line and is already on the plane without their luggage then the person who is left carrying 2 or 3 lots of luggage could find that they are either charged or they have the luggage taken off them as it won't meet the rules.

Edited: 9:43 pm, June 24, 2013
UK
reviews: 84
4. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

don't think I explained that very well what I meant was can I take all our individual 5kg allowances and use just one bag, so rather than 3x 5kg just 1 10-15kg bag

======

As Harley said, I'd be sure the answer to that is "no" because it just makes things far too complicated, they want to keep it simple, one bag, one person, one weight. They dont want to be saying "let me see, so you have 2kg of her 5kg allowance and the other 3kg is in that person over there's bag" etc :-)

However, again as Harley said, no reason you cannot have one "proper" bag and two carriers or similar, all three seperate when you checkin, then from security right through to getting to the gate put them all in the one bag, perhaps a wheeled one if weight is the issue, then back to separate bags for the gate (since they may weigh at the gate) then once on plane, put them all back into the one bag.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
5. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Definitely not. Hand luggage cannot be pooled between passengers. If your hand luggage measures more than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm or weighs more than 5kg you will be asked to check it into the hold. It then becomes part of your checked baggage allowance. If you turn up at the gate with one big bag they will again make you gate check it, and you will have to pay.

London
reviews: 21
6. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

My last Thomas Cook flight hand luggage was weighed at departure gate so be careful of rearranging bags after check in.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 90
7. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Yes be careful on my return flight from Funchal last week hand baggage was weighed did not happen on way out but as others say be careful.

Salford
8. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Thanks everyone gonna take the big bag with 2 bags inside so we're not breaking rules just making life easier as my case has wheels :)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
9. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

If you're taking the big bag onboard it will still have to be within the size limits.

Salford
10. Re: hand luggage Thomas Cook

Yes it is which is why I don't under stand having to take 3 bags when ones does the job and overhead space is limited