We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

Riverside...
3 posts
14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

My wife and I will have a layover from Friday 05:00PM (arrival of our flight from Hanoi) to Saturday 07:50AM (departure of our flight to Surabaya/Indonesia) on our next trip in October 2013. We’d like to use this 14h 50m (NIGHT time) as pleasant as possible. Is staying in Ambassador Transit Hotel in Changi Airport recommended? Is there any night tour that is recommended? Please advice. Thank you.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
159 reviews
1. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

It all depends on your budget.

Singapore City is less than 30 minutes from the airport, so there is no reason why you cannot go into the city for the night, have a great dinner and enjoy the night atmosphere, especially on a Friday (one of the more lively nights). Depending on you country of residence, check visa requirement.

The transit hotel is about $80USD for a 6hr block, so can get expensive. If you decide to stay at the airport then I suggest check in about 11pm and check out at 5am.

However, i strongly suggest you leave the airport and spend a (short) night in the City.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

With that timing I would go into Singapore and stay somewhere in the city.

Arrival formalities at Changi are usually very efficient and taxis are cheap. You would get to your selected hotel and have time for a nice dinner and the opportunity to see a bit of Singapore.

I've stayed at the Transit hotel twice when my arrival time into Singapore has been later in the evening and all I wanted was somewhere to shower and sleep.

While the minimum booking is a 6 hour block you can add single hours to your booking (at about US$13 per hour) so if you decide to stay at the transit hotel you can stay for 7, 8 or however many hours you wish. It is strongly recommended that you book ahead 2 or 3 weeks before you travel.

The transit hotel is clean and functional but quite basic. You wouldn't want to spend too much time there other than to shower and sleep so in your case a room somewhere in Singapore would be my preferance.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
3. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

I'd probably stay at the airport rather than in the city, simply because your flight the next morning is so early. Even with Singapore's efficient public transport system (and affordable taxis) getting to Changi in time for a 7:50 AM flight means getting up awfully early.

You might have a look at the Crowne Plaza inside the airport, but landside (as opposed to the airside Transit hotels.) It's a very, very nice hotel, convenient to all the terminals and to the light rail station into the city, as well as the shopping and food services (including the sub-basement hawker court) right in the airport.

Arrive, drop bags at the Crowne Plaza, hop a train into the city for the evening, then back to the airport for a good sleep before your early flight.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
369 reviews
4. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

I would certainly go down-town as it really would be a pity not to! Now whether you want to sleep in a hotel down-town or near the airport is up to you.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
146 reviews
5. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

Either landside at the Crowne Plaza or downtown in a nice hotl. Go have a great dinner, relax in your hotel room and get some rest. Even though your flight is early it doesn't mean you shouldn't go out of the airport.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

Have a look at the Singapore pages as well, lots of information on the transit hotel (advance bookings required etc). If you're on full service airlines you might be able to check through luggage to Surabaya and walk out of the airport wi an overnight bag.

Sights at night include Night Safari, laser light shows at Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay, 24-hour shopping at Mustaffa's, late night supper to experience Singapore's unique hawker (street) food culture, etc, etc.

Riverside...
3 posts
7. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

Thank you for all the pointers. We need to sort them out. Definitely we will go to the city and choose what we'd like to do. Due to the early flight, we incline to stay close by the airport. How many Crowne Plaza Hotels are in the Airport? Landside vs. Airside? What is the different? Thank you again

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
119 reviews
8. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

There's only one Crowne Plaza landside. Airside are several transit hotels.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
9. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

"Landside" means outside the secure area, so you'll have to go through Singapore immigration and customs to get there. "Airside" means inside the secure area. If you stay at one of the Transit hotels you'll have to enter Singapore officially to take any tours.

Riverside...
3 posts
10. Re: 14+ hour layover in Singapore at night

Thank you.