We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

Humble, Texas...
Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

My general question is: once an airfare has gone from, for example, from $198.00 19 days before departure, to $330.00 18 days before departure, is it not reasonable to expect it to go back down at all before departure? Or do fares go up and down all the time, regardless of how close departure date is?

Here's the big picture:

I was watching fares midweek from Houston to Denver for mid-July. Spirit non stop was $150 BEFORE all the added carry on, checked baggage and other fees like charging you for sitting with your kids, LOL. Altogether would have been a little over $1200 round trip for me, husband, and two teenagers. )

Now, because I've never heard of Spirit, I check reviews online, and they're pretty poor. Going with United, with fares quoted at $198, round trip would have cost about $1300. For me, the extra peace of mind going with United was worth the extra $100. Yesterday I go to book, and United's fare has gone up to $330. (Spirit's is still $150.)

I really would like to stay with the dates we're traveling (leaving Houston for Denver on July 11th).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paula

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

Fares do go up and down but I'd not "expect" fares to go down again so close to the time of the flight!

IF I had definite dates that I needed to travel(especially in summer) I would have bought the ticket about a month ago if the price was right!

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

This close to departure prices are only likely to rise.... and just because one carrier's prices go up doesn't necessarily mean the other's will. I would book it now and don't look back.

You possibly should have booked this some weeks ago but one thing you will be wise to do is avoid Spirit like the plague.

Humble, Texas...
3. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

Thanks, it's what I suspected, and my plan since yesterday is to most likely bite the bullet. That's what I get for not deciding on exact dates in time.

And I told my kids if I booked us on Spirit, your father would never forgive me, LOL.

Edited: 10:35 am, June 24, 2013
Humble, Texas...
4. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

Just went to book United and fare has dropped from $330 this morning to $290.

UK
reviews: 88
5. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

fare has dropped from $330 this morning to $290

=====

If it was me I'd take it and not look again. Don't forget there is always more scope for prices to rise than drop. Its not an equal equation, because there is a bottom limit (eg zero but in reality higher than that, whatever taxes are) , whereas the top limit is whatever first class full fare unrestricted is.

So, it might fall $20 tomorrow, but its probably equally likely they will rise by $50.

Edited: 12:59 pm, June 24, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
6. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

I would also book it , your flight is only 3 weeks away and they usually get more expensive the nearer the time.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 221
7. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

I agree with the others. As a general rule, prices will only rise at this stage as the date of travel gets closer. There can be the odd exception, of course, which means if you do happen to spot a fare that has actually fallen, book it!

8. Re: Experienced Fare Watchers: q about summer price increases

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, June 26, 2014