We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 10
Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

We are scheduled to fly from Philadelphia on 6/27 with a 2 and a half hour layover in Toronto, and then on to Calgary (wedding at Lake Louise). We are flying with 4 adults and two children. What should we expect as far as customs? Will we pass through it? Will we need to pick up our luggage between flights? I am really getting worried about the horror stories About Air Canada, as well as the Toronto airport!

Thank you~~

Ann

Alberta
reviews: 70
1. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

You are arriving in Calgary this Thursday? Are you aware parts of Alberta are experiencing flooding. Sections of the #1 Highway between Banff and Canmore are washed out.

Canada
reviews: 24
2. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Sorry to inform...but Air Canada and Customs will likely be the least of your worries.

Calgary and surrounding areas are in a state of Emergency with flooding....many Hwys closed down leading out of the city.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html

More specifically, yes you will fetch your checked baggage at YYZ as you clear Customs and Immigration. Your connection time should be adequate to allow for this process. It can be a bit of a hike.Following exit from Customs Hall, you will see signage that directs you to a "connections baggage belt" that you can place your onward bags For a YYC connection.

Proceed up the elevator to the "Connections departure level, you will be required to go through Security again...but at the connections station it is less busy than the one for those originating in YYZ

Safe Travels

Edited: 1:40 am, June 24, 2013
Alberta
3. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Check the AMA road report:

www.amaroadreports.ca/alerts

Philadelphia...
4. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

We are indeed aware of the flooding and have a college administrator friend who we are in contact with that lives in the area. He thought that by Thursday the road situation will hopefully be more accessible. I realize this is the air travel forum, but should Highway#1 between Banff and Canmore still be closed, is there a suggested alternate route from Calgary to LL?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
5. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Probably best to take the northern route, if you cannot pass through on HWY 1.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
6. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

I did hear that a temporary bridge is being brought in to cover the washed out area of Hwy 1 near Canmore.

It's anyones guess what will happen over the next few days however. I am meant to be driving to Vancouver on Thursday so am watching events carefully.

The good news is that the weather is co-operating so repairs and re-openings should be able to go ahead as soon as feasible.

...and there is nothing wrong with Air Canada. YYZ is an annoying airport but no worse than many in the USA.

Philadelphia...
7. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Yes, this is truly living day by day-- lots that is out of our control.

Glad to hear your comment about AIr Canada.

Alberta
8. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

The service I have experience with Air Canada coach has been better to what I've received from a couple of big US airlines that code share with Air Canada. Maybe I just have bad luck when I check in on line and there are no seats available, and I have to wait till just before the aircraft leaves to be assigned a seat, but its consistent bad luck.

As suggested by Post 5, check the northern route via Rocky Mountain House. It's a beautiful scenic drive. Summer traffic in the mountains usually requires a lot of patience at times.

Alberta
9. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Check the Calgary travel forum. Country Wife has given many links, including the most up to date road conditions one.

La Libertad, El...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Toronto Airport-US to Toronto to Calgary-Customs?

Air Canada & customer service is an oxymoron & the CBSA agents at Pearson are totally out of control!