We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

London, United...
Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Does anyone have any insight into how often Etihad do this, and what the chances are of getting onto the next flight (tomorrow, looks fully booked)?

My 16 year old nephew was due to travel today but on arriving at the airport 2 hrs beforehand, as requested in travel info, he and 6 others were told the flight was full.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Tell him to get to check-in earlier tomorrow, and every time he flies thereafter - it sounds ;ike he found himself in the last few to check in and hence bounced.

London, United...
2. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Thanks, yes camping out! Seems etihad have over-booked every flight for at least the last week. Wish we'd known...fingers crossed he gets on tomorrow.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Hi

As he is only sixteen I would contact the Airline and tell them you are a bit worried as he is so young and is there any way they can help you, beg beg, smarm smarm etc

Jackie

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Ok, a bit lost by this, how exactly was he denied boarding? Did he not recieve compensation etc and told when he would get another flight? They don't just bump you off because they are full, they have a process they follow, first by asking for volunteers etc before then bumping folks and giving no choice.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
reviews: 39
5. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Was he actually late to check-in? If he wasn't ,can't believe he has been left wondering about what happens next.

London, United...
6. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

well he was given no choice, even though he was in plenty of time. go figure. was told to turn up tomorrow. but like i've already posted, all flights tomorrow appear to be fully booked. stressy or what.

London, United...
7. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

no, he wasn't late to check-in at all. flight was well over-booked.

London, United...
8. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

thanks Jackie, will definitely do that!

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
9. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

Hi Angel

I might chuck in a few tears as well, but no anger or demands, pity beats demands every time.

Good luck

Jackie

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: Etihad overbooked flight from Melbourne to Dublin 23rd June

I think there might be more to this - in my experience airlines don't bump people at random, they all have a process to follow and those who are involuntary bumped are not left stranded.

Whilst you say he checked in in plenty of time was he actually at the gate when boarded started?