We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san francisco airport

perth west australia
reviews: 27
san francisco airport

My wife and I are travelling to Edmontion Canada from Perth Western Australia via Sydney and San francisco unfortunately we have a 4 hour stop over in Sydney after a 4 hour flight which is reasonable but we then have an 8 hours layover in San francisco Airport after a 15 hour flight from sydney so we are stuck in the airport for that time. Any suggestion where to try and catch up on sleep in the airport, are there any public showers where you can freshen up, how expensive is the food and drink at cafes and restaraunts and finally some advice on which are the best cafe's or restaraunts at the Airport. We will be at the airport on the 2nd of august any assistance would be greatfully recieved.

Edited: 8:41 am, June 23, 2013
40 replies to this topic
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
1. Re: san francisco airport

This may answer SOME questions including the shower issue. As date for trip gets closer I would double-check the information:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/orphan/faq/

Dining (same website):

www.flysfo.com/web/page/atsfo/shop-dine/dine/

Make sure you carry what you need for shower in carry-on bag.......And you'll want to make sure you can re-check your luggage immediately after immigration/customs so you dont have to carry it around the airport.

In truth, you wont have 8 hrs..........by the time you get into terminal, go thru immigration/customs etc, re-check luggage......you might see if you can get boarding pass for ongoing flight right away...Also if you are changing terminals that will eat up some time.

perth west australia
2. Re: san francisco airport

thank you so much for this valuable and quick response

Iowa
reviews: 20
3. Re: san francisco airport

You might check to see if you're eligible to use one of the airline club lounges. Some offer 1-day passes for $50. Only you can decide whether their amenities are worth the price. We took advantage of our one-day passes at one of the San Francisco Airport United Airlines lounges in February. I'm not sure if that lounge had shower facilities available -- might be worth checking. The food provided does not compare to a nice restaurant meal -- but what was offered was fresh and good quality. (No additional charge for the food and sodas, tea, etc..) The lounge itself offered a more pleasant and relaxing wait for our next flight. Just a thought!

Iowa
reviews: 20
4. Re: san francisco airport

You might check to see if you're eligible to use one of the airline club lounges. Some offer 1-day passes for $50. Only you can decide whether their amenities are worth the price. We took advantage of our one-day passes at one of the San Francisco Airport United Airlines lounges in February. I'm not sure if that lounge had shower facilities available -- might be worth checking. The food provided does not compare to a nice restaurant meal -- but what was offered was fresh and good quality. (No additional charge for the food and sodas, tea, etc..) The lounge itself offered a more pleasant and relaxing wait for our next flight. Just a thought!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: san francisco airport

SFO is a nice airport, especially the international check in hall and the international concourses, and T2 has been renovated so that may be very nice.. However the other domestic terminals (T1 and T3) aren't as great so it will depend somewhat on your onward airline and terminal. IMO the best food is at the food courts in the INTL check in hall.

With 8 hours (minus 1-1.5 to clear immigration/customs and 1.5 to be in line at security for your onward flight) you could perhaps take the BART into San Francisco. But that will depend on your carry ons and whether you want to drag them around with you, and whether you have US currency. I've done that once on a 6 hour layover domestic-INTL but don't bother any more. There is also the SFO Aviation Museum that you could take a look at. I haven't had the pleasure yet as it's closed on Saturdays (when I'm usually flying out) but it may be worth a look.

flysfo.com/web/…

Edited: 4:14 pm, June 23, 2013
perth west australia
6. Re: san francisco airport

thank you so much for the advice

perth west australia
7. Re: san francisco airport

thank you for the advice

perth west australia
8. Re: san francisco airport

Do you still have to go through customs and immigration even though San Francisco is only a transit stop from Australia to Canada and I wouldn't think we would even leave the International section of the airport and I would think our luggage gets transported from one plane to the other and the only luggage we will have on us is our on board luggage. I know when I flew through Kuala Lumpur to Italy and Dubai through to Turkey we didn't have to go through immigration as such as we were just in transit and never left the airport?

Edited: 8:57 pm, June 23, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: san francisco airport

>> Do you still have to go through customs and immigration even though San Francisco is only a transit stop from Australia to Canada ... <<

Yes you do. US airports do not operate like those (most) in other countries. And, with that in mind, you will need to have entry clearance to the US, including an ESTA.

South Pole
reviews: 39
10. Re: san francisco airport

immigration then customs, then a bag drop outside the secure area (assuming your bags are checked thru).

don't get confused with the bag drop and recheck lines. they are in the same area and poor organization by airport staff can see the lines mingling. the former moves a lot quicker.

then u have to re enter the secure area of one of the terminals for your next flight.

the queues can be long and slow for this.

whom are u flying with?

Reply to: san francisco airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted