We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Overseas Air Travel

Sydney Australia
reviews: 8
Booking Overseas Air Travel

Is it best to book direct with the Airline or are the Online Travel companies OK? Some of them have deals much cheaper than the airline. Are they for real or is there a catch? I have been looking at Expedia and Orbitz. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

superlou,

Book direct with the airline. Even though Expedia and Orbitz have a generally good reputation, you would still have to work any issues - should they arise - through a middleman. And even with the reputable bookers things can go wrong.

I would have no issues using Exoedia or Orbitz for hotel bookings (and have done). But not for flights.

Sydney Australia
2. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

Thanks that all makes sense. I have always booked direct but there are so many offers around these days I am not sure what is best. Your advice is appreciated.

melbourne
reviews: 78
3. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

Check direct with the airlines and also with a good travel agent . they sometimes have fares that are cheaper than some airlines web pages or can be the same price but with a few inclusions.Worth looking at both.

London, United...
reviews: 47
4. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

I have always booked direct but there are so many offers around these days I am not sure what is best

==============================

If you read the small print on their websites, the fare "offered" is simply the best they've found between those two cities (or nearby cities, or even countries) in the last week, month, year. Most have no seat allocation, after you "book" they'll see what seats they can get at what price, then they'll offer them to you at price plus.

You've already paid, so if you turn the seats down, you'll get a refund weeks later. If you're lucky.

All this will be covered by their T&C.

Obviously, they're not all like this, and there are reputable companies around. However, as post 1 pointed out, if you have a problem, then the airline will refuse to deal with you directly, and will refer you to the agent.

southern england
reviews: 21
5. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

one word....DIRECT

UK
reviews: 81
6. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

Is it best to book direct with the Airline or are the Online Travel companies OK? Some of them have ADVERTS much cheaper than the airline THAT DONT EXIST IN ACTUALITY.

---------

There, fixed that for you :-)

Just read through the forums here, every thread beginning with the name of some booking company, is in general not there to praise that company :-)

Some threads are many hundreds of posts long. Many posts start "I wish I'd read this before spending my hard earned money ......." I suggest you DO read them first. And then book direct,

Sydney Australia
7. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

Thanks will do what you suggested.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
8. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

I have regularly gotten flights on Expedia and orbitz that ate tremendously less expensive than booking direct. I book direct most if the time, but Expedia and orbits are reliable companies. If they have a significantly cheaper fare, if book it.

Sydney Australia
9. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

Thanks. Great advice I will do what you suggest but booking direct is sounding good.

Sydney Australia
10. Re: Booking Overseas Air Travel

I will check out a travel agent during the week if I can find one. Thanks.