We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Paramaribo, Suriname
like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

What is the easiest way to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira?

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
1. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Hiring a private jet all the way would be the easiest method of traveling. :-o

Wikitravel http://wikitravel.org/en/Banda_Islands tells that the flight and ferry connections are infrequent and unreliable. The closest frequently served airport is in Ambon, and based on http://matrix.itasoftware.com even the trip to Ambon will have many stops and be quite expensive. You might be able to bring the costs down to a reasonable level by flying from Paramaribo e.g. to Jakarta, and then buying separate tickets with an Indonesian airline.

Garuda Indonesia www.garuda-indonesia.com has in November flights from Jakarta to Ambon for about 500 USD while the low-cost airline Lion Air www.lionair.co.id has tickets as low 250 USD. However, the list of recent Lion Air accidents is rather disconcerting.

Paramaribo, Suriname
2. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Private jet! Not for our budget!

At this moment you can book also Amsterdam to Ambon! Take 37 hours with 2 or 3 stops but also expensive!

can travel with KLM or Garuda!

Must look ams-Jakarta and then go with some smaller airplane to Ambon and then Banda neira!

Will look also ams-Bali and then Banda Neira!

We must take on our way some time to rest too!

thanks for you advice!

Mrs. AM

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
3. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Good luck finding the right tickets, but I must echo #1's warning against Lion Air. Do avoid them if possible.

Paramaribo, Suriname
4. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Thanks a lot!

What about going by boat!

Mrs. AM

What about Buana Air? are they okay!

Edited: 9:56 pm, June 22, 2013
Sydney
reviews: 13
5. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Wow, I have not heard of Buana air for yeeeaaaarrrrssss! I thought they went bankrupt.. Anywho.. I would not fly with any Indonesian airline other than Garuda or air Asia. Imagine a dirty train somewhere in Asia.. And turn it into an airplane... That's what Indonesian budget airline will be like. "Safety" would be a luxury.

I may be biased here, but I think I've seen enough plane crashes in Indonesia and flight errors in some form with their budget airlines to know to only fly Garuda and air Asia. (I'm Indonesian). I've actually been on a lion air flight. One of their overhead compartment latch would not close properly unless u slam it shut.

Btw, I'm not sure whether air Asia flies to Ambon. You should probably check that.

lewes uk
reviews: 98
6. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Hi,

Hard to get to Banda and even harder to get concrete info on flights and ferries. If you can get to Ambon then the Pelni ferry is a good bet but it means you have to stay either 4 days or 2 weeks for the return ship depending on the boat. There is info here: http://www.pelni.co.id/scheduleresult.php

NBA used to fly to banda from Ambon but I think they stopped flying this route and Merpati will have taken it over, probably. Merpati are ok but you can't really book anything from outside Indonesia so you have to wait until you get there. It's one of those places that need time to get to or a great deal of luck.

Cheers

Sydney
reviews: 13
7. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

Ooh yes! Merpati is pretty good. They don't have very many routes anymore though.

It is hard to book anything outside of Indonesia, but you might want to try contact a travel agent like avia travel (reputable and has offices in Australia and other countries too). They could help you sort things out.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
8. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

"it's Merparti and I'll fly if I want to..."

Don't book Merparti unless you value your time.

9. Re: like to travel from Paramaribo to Indonesia Banda Neira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014