We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medicines on board and customs

Ilkeston, United...
Medicines on board and customs

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked previously.

I'm going on my first holiday to the USA on Tuesday (Orlando) and I would like to take my hayfever medicine (tablets, eye drops) and another sort of medicine with me. Do I need to put this in a clear bag when passing through security in the UK and make them aware of them or can they stay in my bag?

Also, what would happen when I get to America? Do I have to declare them and make customs aware?

Many thanks in advance for any replies :-)

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Medicines on board and customs

Unless they are liquids or gels they don't need to go in the clear liquids bag - just keep them in your hand luggage.

If they are prescription medicines then I recommend taking a copy of the prescription with you and keep all the products in the original packaging.

No need to make customs aware or the need to declare legitimate medicines you are taking for your own use.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 6
2. Re: Medicines on board and customs

You need to declare medicines(drugs) on your customs form. Keep them in your hand luggage.We have never had to show them and have always been waved through.(must be our age!!)

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Medicines on board and customs

You need to declare medicines(drugs) on your customs form.

========

Only ones that a doctor prescribed. If its something you bought at Boots, you don't or everyone would be notifying every aspirin they bought.

Just put your eye drops and any other liquid in the clear bag. If its too big for that keep it separate along with doctors note (assuming its prescription). Or if its over the counter medicine (no prescription) but too big for the bag I'd put it in your checked baggage as you'll be able to buy it in the US anyway in the unlikely event your bag went missing.

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Medicines on board and customs

where on the usa customs form does it say u have to declare any prescription medicines?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
5. Re: Medicines on board and customs

I suppose US citizens returning to the US fill out a different customs form, but there is no place on our customs form that requires anyone to declare any type of medication. It is, however, important to keep your medication in the original bottles from the pharmacy It is tempting to put medication in a weekly case if you take several medications, so you do not have to be bothered to carry all your pill bottles, but putting different pills in unlabeled containers can create problems for you.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
6. Re: Medicines on board and customs

You have to declare medicines if you are importing them in quantities greater than personal use during your stay. You don't have to declare amounts for personal use that are of reasonable quantity for your stay.

South Pole
reviews: 39
7. Re: Medicines on board and customs

"I suppose US citizens returning to the US fill out a different customs form"

nope, the same one for citizens and visitors.

in 40 years of travelling to the usa have never been asked about medicines at customs.

Canada
reviews: 24
8. Re: Medicines on board and customs

I concur, same form regardless of where you originate or citizenship.....There is a separate declaration subset on the form for returning citizens and their purchases.

Upon entering the US, I too have never been asked about any accompanying medicines. They tend to ask questions regarding length and purpose of stay, occupation, monies over $10,000 etc...

It goes without saying that medications should be in their original packaging, and accompanied by prescription if applicable.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
9. Re: Medicines on board and customs

I am always asked about medication when I cross the border from Mexico into the US. On a couple of occasions I have been asked when returning from Canada. These have always been at border crossings when traveling by auto. I have never been asked about medication in any airport.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
10. Re: Medicines on board and customs

Medications do not have to go in the liquids bag and liquid medication can be over 100 ml.

tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons