We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

Oakland, California
reviews: 8
Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

My husband & I are about to embark on an epic adventure that starts with about 23 hours of airplane time. We have all sorts of things to keep us occupied, but I know the batteries for the gadgets will likely die before we can re-charge (essentially no layovers). So I want to bring along a multi-device battery charger; one of those fancy gadgets you charge up on it's own & it can re-charge any USB or miniUSB device. Anybody have experience with those in their carry-on bags going thru airport check-ins? I'm hoping these things are popular enough with travelers now that screeners know what they are, but I certainly can see how it might be viewed as a "suspicious" device.

Blyth, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

I don't think you should have any trouble but just in case you come across a security person who doesn't recognise or understand what it is why don't you print something off the internet, (picture and description) and then you could show them.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

You will have no problems.Thousands of people travel with these devices every day.

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

As it happens, I flew last weekend with one, with several colleagues who also had one (we were all on a long walk and using them to keep our gps and phones charged) there were no problems. This was at Heathrow and Edinburgh airports. I've also previously taken it through Heathrow and Toronto airports.

As said above, these devices sell by the tens of thousands so are not unusual.

Oakland, California
4. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

thanks everyone! I'll move on to stressing out about other parts of my trip now.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
5. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

I would not stress about this. I have used one several times. My daughter, who flies to Europe many times each year has used one of these devices for several years and has never had a problem. Her device can only charge her computer, smart phone and iPad once. The electronic device I find most convenient for flying is my Kindle, which only needs to be recharged a few times each month.

Manila Philippines
reviews: 97
6. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

No priblem with that. In fact, some planes have USB and 110/220v sockets. Thus you can rechatge your gadgets while on board.

Oakland, California
7. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

Thanks Bensy. I had heard that some planes had the power outlets but I don't dare dream that our economy or economy plus seats would be so-equipped.

Manila Philippines
reviews: 97
8. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

Actually, I was also seated in economy class, Emirates Airlines. And they have usb and power outlets, I didn't expect it, too and was pleasantly surprised. :)

Glasgow, Scotland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

You will have no problems.Thousands of people travel with these devices every day

=======

The only problems I see, you might get asked what your are carrying, like I was last year at marco polo airport, now because I was questioned about what was in my bag, they done a full security check, checked my bags for drugs

So in my bag were recharging cables, usb cables, camera, portable speakers, it looked suspicious on the xray, so I was asked what I have in my bag

The Italian security guy spoke very good English, and apologized for my delay, and shook my hand

UK
reviews: 89
10. Re: Multi-device charger ok in carry-on?

So in my bag were recharging cables, usb cables, camera, portable speakers, it looked suspicious on the xray, so I was asked what I have in my bag

--------

That's just standard I have the same all my cables and chargers in one bag, never been asked yet about those, but if they do do a search then they may ask what's in your bag, more I think to see if there is any nervousness than wanting to know.