We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 72
Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Main question is this?

Which airlines, if any, still provide free meals and drinks on a long haul flight? Or is this a thing of the past?

The flight in question is Edinburgh to Bangkok, not yet booked, still researching the best options but cheapest found so far is Norwegian Air. Was close to booking it tonight, only to discover that the in-flight meals would be an extra £60! (for two of us). This gives one light meal, one hot meal, and a drink with each one.

Here was me expecting unlimited drinks as well!

Our last flight to Bangkok was with Egypt Air and the meals were all included (3 during the entire flight if I remember correctly), but no drinks, only water (in fact no alcoholic beverages were offered at all - religious reasons??)

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated... (bear in mind the NA flights are coming in at just over £600 for the two of us - one way, without meals - and we're not looking to pay Emirates' type fares)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
1. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

The old saying - there's no such thing as a free dinner - remains true ! With most airlines flying long haul the cost of meals (and drinks/luggage etc) is factored into the ticket price with no option but to pay it. If an airline charges seperately then it simply means you have the option to buy or not. Obviously prices vary from airline to airline, even day to day so the only way to compare prices is to check the price of an "all inclusive" flight against the total cost where you have the option. The "bottom line" prices are the only way to compare the two. So your total NA flight would be around £330 each. So you would have to find "meals included" flights at less than that for them to be a bargain. Doesn't really matter how the total price is arrived at.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
2. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Yes just take your own.

We are flying Melbourne to HNL next month with Jetstar. No meals or drinks, or blankets or pillows. But for the price who cares. We wont die of starvation on an 11 hour flight.

Queensland
reviews: 145
3. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Actually most airlines still provide meals and drinks and to get BKK you have several choices. Check Thai Airways, usually good fares and great food and entertainment and yes complimentary drinks. You will have to stop somewhere from Edinburgh and Thai fies from LHR. Another good one is Finnair via Helsinki however although meals and first drinks were included additional alcoholic drinks were charged. KLM via Amsterdam provide complimentary everything as to Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Qatar, BA and others. Flying these you will also have the surity of no hidden extra charges, unless of course you pack too much and exceed baggage allowances. If you do your research you may find comparable fares on these airlines and don't discount Emirates just yet, check on sites such as Skyscanner to compare fares. When exactly are you flying?

Orange, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Many still provide meals and drinks - Swiss, BA, Qantas, Delta - of course not all fly the route you are looking for but I'm giving you an idea of airlines I've dealt with that still provide inflight meals and drinks. Of course, you get what you pay for.

Queensland
reviews: 145
5. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

I searched a random date in October and found the cheapest full service airlines were

Turkish Airlines via Istanbul (1 stop) GBP561 return,

China Southern GBP565 return (2 stops),

Etihad Airways GBP600 return (2 stops),

Virgin Atlantic/Qatar GBP607 return (2 stops),

BA/Qatar 638 return,

Qatar Airways 638 return,

Jet Airways India 685 return,

Malaysia Airlines 689 return,

KLM/Air France 692 return,

KLM 692 return,

China Airlines 702 return,

Air France 706 return,

BA/Qantas 725 return,

EVA Air Taiwan 743 return,

Emirates 760 return,

Swiss 854 return,

Austrian 898 return,

Finnair 967 return,

Lufthansa 974 return,

Aeroflot 1159 return,

Royal Jordanian 1447 return,

And so it goes on. I have heard great reviews of Turkish Airlines and it's a great price. As I don't know your actual date of travel this price is just a guide as I chose a date in October randomly.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
6. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Turkish Air may have some of the best food in the entire industry, and not only do they provide alcohol, but you have your choice of French or Turkish wine. The service in the air is exceptionally professional I think they are growing fast, and their customer service department is not as professional as it should be. If you can book your tickets and do not need to make changes, this would be my preference.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

All the leading airlines still provide meals and drinks on long haul flights,check out the Matrix and skyscanner websites for the best price/schedule.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

www.skyscanner.com

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Norwegian is an LCC that charge separately for food, drinks and luggage.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
9. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

Avoid low cost carriers if you expect to be served food and drinks, get a blanket, have entertainment, etc.

Best food and drink -- Turkish Airlines. Their catering is amazing and has won many awards.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
10. Re: Meals & drinks on long haul flights - which airline?

If you are flying after September then Norwegian will have their brand new Dreamliners in service but with having to pay for everything including bags and food (£30 for two meals does seem a bit outrageous) that will add another £130 to your round trip.

Although Norwegian are a LCC they were voted the best in Europe.

I see KLM coming in at £522 in September. Food is ok and they have just upgraded their planes on this route recently with IFE and new seats.

Pretty decent transfer times in Amsterdam too. Turkish are coming in at £300 more than that. All in all KLM are a decent choice