We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 54
Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

I haven't chosen an airline yet but am planning a ( one way ) flight from Phuket to Bangkok. My husband is concerned that since it is a short flight, we may end up on a "propeller" plane.

Does anyone know what airlines will use regular dual engine type planes on this route?

Thanks for any info!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Nah,i did a dummy booking and the first hit was an Airbus A300. Did you know there are up to 72 flights a week? Using planes up to 747 and 767?

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
2. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

As far as I am aware only small private hire operators use small private hire propeller aircraft. All the bulk passenger carriers use jet aircraft on the Phuket to Bangkok route. Not that there is anything wrong or unsafe with small, modern turbo prop aircraft use on other routes. Bangkok Airways, perhaps the Region's most highly regarded airline, uses has a number of very modern and comfortable ATR 72-500 twin prop aircraft in its fleet but not on this route. Airlines to consider are Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways which fly into Suvarnabhumi Airport, the main International airport in Bangkok, and AirAsia and Nok Air, Low Cost Carriers which fly into the former international airport, Don Mueang. The two airports are about 50 minutes apart.

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Air Asia very good and cheap , new A320 Airbus just watch baggage limit 15 kg best to pay for 20 kg when you book.I use them all the time.

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Thanks so much for the detailed responses- much appreciated!

Happy Travels

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

When I flew BKK-HKT a few years ago with Thai we were on a 777. As mentioned, while the distance does make a prop feasible, the route is high volume and so jet aircraft are used for every airline I know of.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Hi,

Carriers also use the larger wide-body planes on selected frequencies to places like HKT and CNX during the day (as example, Thai does) as many carriers use and need those aircraft to move their air cargo, freight and postal mail, which is much harder and laborious to move on a smaller narrow-body aircraft than a containerized wide-body.

Travel Safe,

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

All jets on that route :

Thai Airways - all wide bodied on that route, mostly could be Airbus A330 or Boeing 777 or even 747

Bangkok Airways - Airbus A 319 / 320

Air Asia - Airbus 320

Nok Air - Boeing 737

Orient Thai - Boeing 737

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
8. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Btw, and with no hesitation, go for Bangkok Air. And if you feel like treating yourself, go Business class (small price difference normally). It's really worth it!

9. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, June 29, 2013
Tampa, Florida
10. Re: Type of Plane Flown from Phuket to Bangkok?

Thanks for the helpful info everyone !