We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Chagford, United...
reviews: 3
Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

I recently had my Egyptair flight from Luxor to Cairo cancelled - this meant we were going to miss our onward connection with our Egyptair flight to London Heathrow. We were finally routed through Aswan arriving very late into Cairo - No one ever informed us of the reason for the delay/cancellation. The hotel accommodation provided was filthy with only one towel for the two of us. The meal was provided but unbelievably coffee had to be paid for as the hotel told us that Egyptair would not cover this cost.

On my return home I wrote and complained to the Chairman of Egyptair and was offered a Blue tier frequent flyers card. The details were sent to me to sign in and I found they had sent me the details for another person with the same surname.

I gave up and told them that under the circumstances I would never travel with them again and YES they are a dry airline. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Gotcha, adding it to the neverending list of airlines never to use.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

If you decide not to fly with any airline that suffers delays or cancellations then you will have zero options - not good when it happens but one of the perils of modern air travel.

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

I think they are already off the list, sorry you are too late.

No one flies anymore, all airlines have been blacklisted by someone. As such, we all drive or get the boat now.

I also agree, how dare they cancel your flight, not personally explain to you why, pay for you to stay in a hotel with inadequate towels, not buy you coffee, and send you someone else's ff card.

Sigh. We all absolutely know you are not posting out of spite because they never gave you compensation. We can just tell you are just warning others out of the goodness of your heart.

Thank you for that.

Edited: 1:39 pm, June 20, 2013
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Would it matter if they had told you the reason for the delay?

The fact was, it was cancelled, it makes no difference as to why, but more what they did under the circumstances.

They put you up in a hotel.

They fed you.

What more do you expect?

Many airlines leave people on airport floors!

Delays and cancellations are part and parcel of traveling of you can't deal with that I wouldn't travel.

:-)

Edited: 1:48 pm, June 20, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Shocking. I imagine after hearing your complaint the Chairman of Egyptair gave himself a good old slapping and vowed to mummify himself until such a time as you return.

London, United...
6. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

I should certainly hope so, mr Marcoos:-))

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 29
7. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Not sure who I feel more sorry for, the OP or the head chap at the airline, but I'm minded to sympathise with the man at the airline!

Sh!t happens, it's a fact of life in air travel, but how come everyone these days seems to expect that the red carpet will be rolled out for them as a result of what amounts to, really, a minor inconvenience. He got home, eventually, presumably all in one piece and with his luggage intact?

If what the OP says is correct, the length of the delay should qualify for a payment from his/her travel insurance... Presuming they have

some, and if they don't they are, to,say the least, foolhardy going to Egypt with the way things are there currently without insurance .

London, United...
8. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Travel insurance , why? He got to his desitnation and was fed and accommodated. Unless he wishes to claim for coffee? Emotional distress for inadequate towels? Genuinely not sure what he would be claiming on insurance for?

Really fed up with the compensation culture. Not that people want it, that's fine, if it's due it should be paid, if it's due, I just really don't like the " if you don't pay me Compensation, even though you don't owe me anything, I will Bad mouth you all over the Internet" mob,

Such an overused, immature ploy it's now totally ineffectual.

Edited: 3:22 pm, June 20, 2013
Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 29
9. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Hiya Froggy

The travel delay element of a travel insurance policy is a benefit intended to pay for the kind of out-of- pocket costs that arise as a result of a delay and is a benefit rather than an indemnity.

Coffees, phone calls, snacks etc are optional extra costs and whilst the airline might be obliged to provide statutory elements of service, you will always find someone who wants more.

Travel insurance was originally meant to cover medical costs really, but over the years, and I've been in the biz for over 25, it has enlarged to add a bit of extra value for very little additional premium.

London, United...
10. Re: Egyptair offering me compensation for a cancelled flight -

Hi, yes agree, just not sure it applies in this situation, I am unsure how the op is out of pocket, other than the coffee?