We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

If I fly HKG to BKK with Emirates, to catch a 2nd Emirates flight from BKK to the UK later that night (booked on a different ticket), would Emirates have the same responsibility to me if I missed the 2nd flight, due to problems with their 1st flight, as they would have to somebody who had both flights booked on the same ticket ?.

The 1st flight arrives Bangkok at 23:15pm, & the 2nd flight leaves BKK at 1:05am.

I have already emailed Emirates with this query yesterday, & obviously they will confirm yes or no, but still awaiting a reply from them, so just thought I'd ask the experienced members opinions in the meantime.

Appreciate any thoughts, whilst I wait for Emirates to reply

Edited: 7:39 am, June 20, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

No. If you are on 2 separate tickets/ PNRs then you don't get the through benefits that you would if you have the 2 flights on the same ticket.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

I doubt EK will have the same responsibility, and EU regs can't be applied.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
3. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

If you have two tickets Emirates aren't responsible for you if you miss the second one.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

Assuming you have similar separate tickets on your UK outbound flight you could find the HKG to BKK ticket is cancelled before you try to get that flight if you were to miss the BKK to HKG flight.

Buying separate tickets might in some cases be cheaper but carries a lot of risk - you could miss flights due to delays/cancellations on the day or even schedule changes prior to travel which make the connections impossible to make and that's leaving aside the hassle of collecting luggage and checking in again.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

No- if you miss the second flight Emirates will treat you like any other passenger that has not checked in for their first flight and may even charge you more to change to the next available option

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

EK will likely check luggage through - even on separate tickets.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
7. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

Let us know what they say because as the others have said if you miss the connecting flight, it's your own responsibility to get to your destination and will cost you a new ticket.

newcastle upon tyne
8. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

Will do, hoping for a reply soon from Emirates as its been 24 hours since the query was submitted.

Annoyingly, their multi-destination booking option on their website has been unavailable all day as well, so unable to check flight prices today.

newcastle upon tyne
9. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

I realised I had enough air miles to book a free flight from BKK to HKG & back now. I wanted to do this at the end of my already booked trip to BKK, and so wanted to fly from HKG back to BKK, then transfer to the flight back to the UK the same evening, rather than having to spend an extra 24 hours in BKK. Getting to a hotel room at 1am is much less appealing than being on the flight back home.

Just waiting to see what Emirates say.

newcastle upon tyne
10. Re: Flight connection, same airline but 2 different tickets

Well, I have received a reply to my query from Emirates, I have posted their reply below. They have confirmed that despite the two flights being on 2 separate bookings, there won't be a problem if any problems with my 1st flight causes me to miss my 2nd flight.

"With regards to your query, please note that our representative can check-in your baggage all the way through as long as you are able to provide them with both the of the Emirates e-tickets. In case of a flight delay which results in missing your next flight with Emirates, we will rebook you to the next available Emirates flight. Kindly note that this does not apply if you are holding a ticket with another airline"