We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 31
EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

This is in today's Dail Mail - the EU say passports are valid up to the date of expiry but EasyJEt are imposing their own rules, one person has already been refused flying....

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344934

London
reviews: 35
1. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

One thing that is omitted from the article is that UK passports can be renewed up to nine months before they expire, and the unexpired period will be added to the new passport.

(Yes, I actually read a Daily Mail article. I hang my head in shame).

Edited: 6:28 am, June 20, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

With a multitude of nationalities and differing passports it's not unusual for airlines to set their own rules to avoid potential fines for flying passengers without proper documentation.

If I recall correctly one of the LCCs required passengers flying within the UK to have a passport as ID although I'm not sure if this still applies.

Illustrates why it's important to check official rules as well as anything extra imposed by the carrier regardless of whether it's a legal requirement or not.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

Of course passports are valid until they expire, but not good for entry to all countries. They are for Cyprus though, but airlines can set their own rules, and they do have the final say.

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
4. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

Yes, and to confirm the point about extended renewals, I received my renewed passport just this morning - expiry date in March 2024.

Incidentally, how much faith can we have in an article that refers (twice) to people flying to an airport called "Pathos"? I know it isn't going to win prizes as the world's best airport, but I'm sure it is actually called Paphos.

Edited: 6:36 am, June 20, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

I assume it's this guy:

https:/…gatwick_airport_passport_debacle

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

maybe i'm not reading it correctly, but easyJet's t&c page [article 13] simply says 'valid' and does not specify any time period needed on your passport. it does, however, appear to give them the right to pursue the passenger for any fines imposed due to refusal of entry.

www.easyjet.com/terms-and-conditions#a12

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

If easyJet wants to impose their own conditions on passport validity they are free to do so but they better make them very clear on their website. Otherwise how are people to know?I don't see anything on their website about self-imposed 3-month rule. I suspect a screw-up at the airport and that this is not an easyJet rule.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 100
8. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

Myself flew to Pisa and back with B.A passport had about three weeks before it was up no problem have got a new one now but I think as Lexexpress says a mix up at the airport feel sorry for the man concerned lets hope he gets a refund.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
9. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

"..lets hope he gets a refund"

He is owed 400 euros in compensation for denied boarding, never mind a refund!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: EasyJet imposing their own passport restrictions

If EasyJet's T+C's don't state their (arbitrary) three month validity rule the the guy should sue them in Small Claims. As a minimum for the refund plus EU261 compensation.

Even if it is in their T+C's it's a ludicrous rule. They need to check everyone's entry clearance anyway, not just for passport expiry requirements but visas and maximum stay requirements. That's what TIMATIC is for. So why impose an arbitrary blanket expiry rule that is not valid for (I guess) most of their pax and may not be sufficient for many others?