We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

Lahore
Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

We are travelling on Qatar airways to Rome via Doha on the 29th of August and have a 22 hours stopover in Doha and require a transit visa. And the transit visa is a mess and i need help in my future immediate action.

The local QA office says you need to book a hotel and apply for a visa 10-14 days prior. As a result our travel agent applied on June 7th. Firstly, the booking was confirmed on 18th june even though it should take 1-2 days (QA inefficiency) .

Secondly, we are a family of 4 and booked 2 rooms at Mercure Grand doha (mentioned on the QA website) for 135$ per a double occupancy room. However on the 18th June QA demanded 250$ per room (opposed to the price quoted on the website). I contacted the local office on the 18th and showed them this proof and it left them confused. They requested a day to contact the head office and on the 19th assured me of giving their best try but never called back. This limbo is shocking as i face a very real possibilty of staying 22 hrs at the airport ( courtesy QA complacency) even though i AM willing to pay for transit. I am thinking of calling the head office and may demand compensation. Any help on my future action will be appreciated! Time is running out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
1. Re: Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

1. QR

2. They don't run the hotel or regulate prices at the hotel. The hotel is advertising on their site.

3. What transpired between you and your travel agent doesn't really have much to do with QR.

4. You still have over a month to sort this out.

Edited: 12:53 am, June 20, 2013
Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
2. Re: Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

How can Qatar airways demand you pay for a Mercure hotel??

Grigoris

australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

How can Qatar airways demand you pay for a Mercure hotel??>>>>>

With some airlines you can actually book your accommodation through the airline site instead of the hotel, quite often there are pre-arranged rates for passengers in transit.

4. Re: Poor pre flight Qatar airways treatment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 22, 2014