We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

Perth
Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

I have a trip booked going to Europe and coming back through the Middle East with Qantas. I wanted to change the London Paris Leg to a London Lisbon leg (I was going to book a separate flight Lisbon-Paris as it wasn’t practical to book with Qantas). I call Qantas Club (I am a life member) to make the change thinking it would be simple. The options given:

1) Changing the flight would disconnect all flights and incur a charge of $7000 (the actual flight cost was about $200)

2) If I didn’t take the London Paris flight and booked a separate London Lisbon Flight all my other flights would be cancelled.

My only option was to take the flight as booked London Paris and then book another flight Paris Lisbon. The cost of doing this is not such an issue but because I will have to overnight in Paris the exercise becomes a huge waste of time. There is also an environmental penalty.

The issue for Qantas is that they penalise themselves. I booked the flights with Qantas because it was convenient. If I had realised that booking flights in this way was going to turn out so inconvenient I would have booked another way. Long haul on Emirates and then all local flights on Easyjet or similar.

All part of the Qantas poor service policy?

australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

All part of the Qantas poor service policy?>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You will get the same response from any airline when you try to change a multi-city ticket as I am sure many others on here will also tell you shortly...

Some people book the cheaper on sale fares then attempt to swap to more expensive sectors expecting the same price. I am not saying this is what you are trying to do but it does happen.

Even though you have multiple sectors it is still regarded as one ticket, hence the cancellation of all sectors and the need to rebook. The closer to the travel date the higher prices become (mostly).

As you rightfully pointed out it is normally best and cheaper to book open jaw tickets (arrive at one port but leave from another) and book different internal flights.

The pitfalls of airline travel today are numerous

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 136
2. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

I do not see the problem here. You got exactly what you booked (obviously a cheap inflexible ticket).

Then, YOU decide to change your contract with them and then whine because they want to charge you for it, or hold you to the contract you signed.

Understand the problem, but not why fault is direct away from yourself.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
3. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

<<<As you rightfully pointed out it is normally best and cheaper to book open jaw tickets (arrive at one port but leave from another) and book different internal flights.>>.

Yeah I absolutely agree but people here so often give the advice to book everything on one ticket - then you can get exactly the problem the OP has.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 61
4. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

So, sounds like you still have your original ticket ( assuming this was good value and purchased on a cheap inflexible basis,which is why you purchased it in the first place?).

You say the cost of the additional flight is $200.00 ( not super onerous is it? - and you do get an additional flight) and you will be up for an extra night in Paris. - Can think of worse places to spend a night!

Based on the information you have provided I suggest to you that " sometimes you can't have sprinkles on your ice cream!" -

With regard to the environmental penalty you mention, you could smoke a cigar in protest or to as a means to get your money's worth. - if you don't smoke you can always just burn toast!

Edited: 2:36 am, June 20, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

All part of the Qantas poor service policy?

==========

Not in the slightest. Why should you change for free when you have purchased a cheap inflexible fare. This is simple, you could have changed the flight if you had bought a more expensive flexible ticket. This is what you signed up to.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

Gotta love a good DYKWIA thread :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

Do give them marks for notwritingeverythinginonecontinuoussentenceandnotincludingirrelevantinformationabouthowtheircatwassickonthecarpet

8. Re: Qantas Travel Change Policy - More Poor Customer Care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 22, 2014