We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Australia
Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Hi. Any ideas what I can do re food on plane log haul flights with my allergies? There does not seem to be a meal I can choose without these things. I cannot even have it in sauces etc. I am flying Cathay or air New Zealand. Any ideas

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
1. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Bring your own.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

buy a sandwich on board and fruit

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Presumably you have contacted the airlines to check their special meals.

On long haul flights the amount of food served is quite generous. Even if the sauce on the main meal has garlic or onion there will other items you can eat - the bread roll, the cheese and crackers, the desert and possibly the salad.

You haven't said where you are flying to (or from) but even with a full 24 hours to Europe from Australia you won't starve if you take some sandwiches, muesli bars, muffins etc. Take food that is not liquid and doesn't need to be kept cold.

When returning to Australia remember to either dispose of or declare any food you haven't eaten.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
4. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

I 'm allergic to nuts and kiwi and take my own food when in economy - in business class its easier to pick and choose.

Phagwara, India
5. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Most of the major airlines will allow you to preselect a special meal before you fly ... eg, Diabetic meals, even raw vegetables, etc

But in my own experience now and again they won't have that meal, so for insurance bring your own if it's such a major issue for you.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
6. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

When in comes to allergies and being in a closed capsule 30,000 ft above the earth with no medical attention, the answer is clear: Trust nothing/no one and bring your own food. Even if I could order a special meal there could be onion and garlic in anything! Even salad dressing wouldn't be safe!

Sacrificing some luke warm mystery meat for your safety is a no- brainier. I would bring my own food.

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

cathaypacific.com/cpa/…specialmeals

These are the Cathay special meals you can add the meals under "Manage my booking"

airnewzealand.com.au/…special-meals

Air New Zealand you need to ring an have them added, see the note regarding NZ7000 series flights

My daughter is the same and is also fructose and lactose intolerant which makes life really difficult. Go for the raw vegetable meal. I also found the low lactose meals were very bland i.e. no sauces therefore no onion or garlic either...mainly just boiled potatoes and meat/fish

Shoalhaven...
reviews: 151
8. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Some airlines offer 'Fruit platter' as a meal option. Also I believe they have a specific 'bland' meal as well (yes, I do see the irony there!).

Otherwise, as advised, just bring your own and pick and choose from whatever you are given.

P.S: Do not expect the aircrew to accurately inform you of the ingredients in each dish - not gonna happen

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
9. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

Go for vegetarian Jain, diet. You will def. not have onion and garlic as Jain do not eat root veg. Or as suggested go for fruit platter which most carriers have. Warnung: do not rely on getting your choice. I have often not got what I orderded. E.g. ordered bland meal and on 3 legs everything was fried. I went without eating.

10. Re: Allergy to onion and garlic - low acid diet for stomach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 22, 2014