We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

wirral
reviews: 74
Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

Announced at Paris Air Show today: Thomson Airways has been awarded this accolade after being voted for by air travellers from more than 160 countries.

They must all be pygmies.

uk
reviews: 74
1. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

Was that the 'World's Best Leisure Airline Award' sponsored by Thomson?

I also wonder who the competition was - maybe they are the best of a bad bunch. I know a lot of people that fly charter, rate Thomson the highest.

Actually, I haven't flow chartered for well over 10 years so really can't comment.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 32
2. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

There can't have been much competition....

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

When it was put on twitter this morning, one of the travel journalists #sceptical because the awards are run by Skytrax. Presumably because airlinequality.com was discredited by the ASA last year.

Thomsons longhaul product is good, especially premium, but short haul??

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

Who was the worst:-))

London, UK
reviews: 120
5. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

I'm assuming that for 'leisure' we can read 'charter' in which case I'm not all that surprised, the bar being set very, very low indeed. Or the seat in front very, very close if you prefer.

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
6. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

"They must all be pygmies."

To be honest Wirral, seat space isn't massive but then it's not Ryaniar-esque either. Can you suggest another charter airline that provides much more room? I'm genuinely interested, I didn't think Thomson's seat pitches were bad at all in comparison.

"but short haul??"

Can I ask a serious question Leyland (for the discussion), what do you reckon most reasonable people's expectations are on a short haul leisure flight, and how does the Thomson product fall below those? I ask as I suspect that some expectations may sometimes be unrealistic on a 2 hour holiday flight to Tenerife South.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
7. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

If you could get to Tenerife South in 2 hours then perhaps legroom wouldn't be so much of an issue. 28" pitch isn't much for flights for up to 7 hours, but as you say it's standard UK charter (3 airlines).Thomsons have acknowledged the legroom problem on longer flights, and have just introduced some seats (3 rows) with 34" pitch (like Monarch only they have about 7 rows) on some of their 757s, but there will still be lot's of flights with just 28" pitch. They don't even have IFE on anything other than longhaul, and no in flight meals.

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
8. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

I don't measure seat pitches admittedly, but this wasn't an award for biggest seat pitch, it was best leisure airline. The biggest fleet (737) is now wholly the newer 800 version, younger than other leisure airlines by a long, long way, cabins are fresh and clean, seat pitch on my journeys has been plenty comfortable for my 6 foot frame. The maligned and admittedly poorer 757 is well into it's refresh programme which now means new seats, upgraded interior, and less rows for more leg room.

Hot meals on board and seat back IFE aren't standard on any other leisure airline either so that's a moot point, that's generally a long haul product. The buy on board snacks are comparable to most others. Again I'm not really sure what the expectation is on a holiday flight, I suspect some people would like 40 films to choose from and free hot meals, but most of the market don't want that and the premium it would attract. As long as you're not unlucky with the aircraft allocated I think it's a perfectly good short haul product, certainly better than most.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
9. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

<<I don't measure seat pitches admittedly, but this wasn't an award for biggest seat pitch, it was best leisure airline.>>

Best for what though? Not seat pitch, not inflight meals and not IFE (short/mid haul) but for longhaul, yes, first by miles IMO.

Thomas Cook do offer in flight meals. Yes they are extra, but you can get them. They also have IFE on some of their short/mid haul aircraft. Their seat pitch is just as naff :( If you're 6' and your comfortable that's lucky for you. My son is about 6'1" and nearly has his legs around his neck lol, and hubby can't get in 28" pitch.

Jet2 and Monarch do offer in flight meals, Jet2 have more seat pitch, Monarch have more flights with 34" pitch available, and both are just as good as Thomsons for short/mid haul IMO.

You obviously like Thomsons short/mid haul product, whereas I don't, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Thomson voted World Best Leisure Airline-I kid you not

In my opinion they are all a bit crap, so it's really a moot point. They are all as bad as each other. An award just means the best of a bad bunch in some people's opinion, when forced to pick one.