We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Items?

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 2
Duty Free Items?

Hi All,

As I am planning to purchase some duty free cigarettes from Singapore and then bring them to the States. Will there be any issues? And as I will be having a stopover in Mumbai (SIN-BOM-JFK), will there be any problems at the Mumbai immigration?

Thanks in advance =)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 28
1. Re: Duty Free Items?

Does Singapore sell duty free cigarettes? You cannot take them into Singapore so do they sell them at all? You might also find cigarettes in the USA are cheaper anyway.... they used to be when I smoked.

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Duty Free Items?

Hi able58, thank you for your message. Yes, they do sell duty free cigarettes at the Singapore airport, after the passport/immigration control. I am intending to purchase duty free cigarettes this time round, as the cigarettes at New York is pretty costly.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: Duty Free Items?

Yes, they certainly do sell DF cigarettes in SIN for departing passengers.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
4. Re: Duty Free Items?

Immigration never bothers with duty free items anyway. It's customs that bother with these things. From what I can see the allowance into India is 200 cigarettes.

Edited: 1:33 am, June 19, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Duty Free Items?

I'd wait till you got to Mumbai. The price in SIN even DF is very high. DH, who is a cigar smoker, found them to be cheaper in a corner shop in NYC than at DF in Changi. I assume it might be the same for cigarettes.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Duty Free Items?

Hi WhiskyTraveller & evamelb , thank you for your messages. Yea, I believe 200 cigarettes is the maximum. And I think I will buy the cigarettes at Mumbai as advised. =)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
7. Re: Duty Free Items?

I can confirm that they're cheaper in Mumbai so wait and buy them there.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Duty Free Items?

Duty Free cigarette prices are based on the local market prices, so if the local market is cheap, the adjacent duty free has to be cheaper. But, in some locations the cigarettes sold in duty free stores are the locally manufactured blend and not necessarily the "international" or US blend. For smokers, this can often make a difference and sometimes this is why prices in some stores are also higher than others.

In fact, I have never found cigarette prices high at Singapore duty free, they seem a lot cheaper than European airports, the UK being the most expensive I have seen on my travels.

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: Duty Free Items?

Hi Chrella & Mark S, thank you for your messages. =)

Most of my friends has actually advised me to purchase the cigarettes at Mumbai's Duty Free shop. The cost shouldn't be too much of a difference compared to the Duty Free @ Singapore. I am just worried about the customs at Mumbai, because a friend of mine actually purchase 200 cigarettes (10 packs) at the Singapore Duty Free, but he encountered some issues at Mumbai customs. They insisted that he wasn't 'allowed' to bring duty free cigarettes through the Mumbai customs, even though it was only a stopover (he was on his way to the States as well) and he argued that it was within the duty free cigarettes limit provided by the USA customs. And then they argued back and told my friend that the duty free cigarettes purchased from Singapore should be packed into his checked in baggage, not carry on! I have never heard of this! They then confiscated his cigarettes, made him pay a fine of around $80 USD! He had no choice but to purchase another 10 packs at Mumbai duty free.

united kingdom
10. Re: Duty Free Items?

These are the rules, dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/…440 think your friend had a strange customs officer... plus, you don't normally pass thru customs in-transit..